We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Historical sights

Which Sioux Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 11
Historical sights

Hi guys , as i continue to research american native historical sights ive become just as keen to visit south dakota for its natural beauty, is rapid city the best base for historical tours and other south dakota interests, or should i spend some time in sioux falls and fort pierre as well ?

South Pole
reviews: 39
1. Re: Historical sights

i spend a fair bit of my time in sioux falls. i have family there and in the surrounds.

it's a nice mid west town, full of friendly people.

lots of history but not a lot of physical evidence of it.

the falls area is one. the old part of town is lovely.

the rest u can trace thru this blog

siouxfallshistoricsites.blogspot.com.au/

and here is a list of relevant museums

…worldweb.com/SightsAttractions/Museums/

one place that should not be missed however is a little to the north east of sf (in minnesota) called pipestone.

http://www.nps.gov/pipe/index.htm

easy to spend half a day there.

Sioux Falls, South...
2. Re: Historical sights

It's so tough to answer a question like that.

There is a lot of settlement and immigration history to be discovered in the dozens of small museums and various historic sites in eastern South Dakota.

If you're looking for general history, Pierre/Ft. Pierre may be more appropriate, given the state museums and archives there.

If you're looking for history regarding natives and the 'old west' (whether it's the gold rush or the open range days), Rapid City is definitely the best bet.

And there's really no shortage of natural beauty anywhere in the state, especially in summer. Whether it's the wetlands and waterfowl in the northeast, the hardwood forests in the extreme southeast, the Missouri breaks in the central region, the Badlands, or the high plains butte country in the northwest, you don't have to be in the Black Hills to experience beautiful scenery.

3. Re: Historical sights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:40 pm, June 20, 2013