We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

any help?

Which Sioux Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh, Pa
any help?

a close friend and i had NEVER been in South Dakota, we don't know what it's like over there, but we'd like to take a two weeks vacation to there. any info? is it really nice there? what's the weather like in the summer and etc? can someone just fill me in on the info i'd need to know? as you can all tell, i'm from the other side of the country. thanks, and any information would be greatly appreciated : )

North Carolina
reviews: 5
1. Re: any help?

Are you talking about two weeks driving to and from South Dakota or flying in and spending two weeks once you get there? South Dakota is flat prairie on the east side of the state and more moutainous as you travel west. The draw for most people is the area surrounding Mt. Rushmore, which includes Spearfish Canyon, the Needles Highway, Custer State Park, and the Crazy Horse Memorial. You will probably also want to drive into eastern Wyoming to see Devil's Tower, which is only 45 minutes away from Spearfish. The weather can be quite hot in the summer but probably no hotter than Pennsylvania.

Rapid City, SD
reviews: 2
2. Re: any help?

Dudley above has it right. I probably wouldn't fly into Sioux Falls for a vacation...driving through is fine.

The Black Hills area around Rapid City is the main attraction. Sight seeing, hiking, mountain biking, camping, backpacking--there are a lot of opportunities to be had.

Sioux Falls
3. Re: any help?

East River (E of the Missouri) is more farmland and glacial lakes. The East side is more populated, although mostly by towns ranging from less than a thousand to around 180,000 in the greater Sioux Falls area. There are lots of places to visit on the East side, just depends on what you are interested in.

Laura Ingalls home in De Smet (Little Town on the Prairie), Oakwood State Park is a good park near Brookings, which also has the South Dakota Art Museum on the campus of South Dakota State University.

Sioux Falls is a great town to stop over in, lots of great restaurants (Minervas, Granite City) and lots of lodging. Hit a Canaries minor league baseball game if they are playing.

The Black Hills are great, but I would recommend to spend most of your time in Custer State Park and the surrounding area. Not much in Rapid City, and it really isn't close to anything of interest in the hills. Better to stay near Custer and Hill City.

That area has Custer State Park, Mt Rushmore just to the north, Jewel Cave to the west, and Wind Cave National Park to the south. Crazy Horse Mountain is also nice, and not just the mountain. Go inside and check out all of Korzcak's other works of art.

Stay away from the tourist traps, there are a LOT (Bear Country, Cosmos, Flintstones), and stick to the natural beauty of the hills if that is where you go. Needles Highway, Iron Mountain Road and Spearfish Canyon are great drives. Devil's Tower is very overrated IMO. Lots of trails, including the Centennial Trail and the George Mickelson Bike Trail.

St. Paul, MN
reviews: 33
4. Re: any help?

Prairiepirate is correct with all the above info. We just returned from the Black Hills area 2 days ago. It was hot, (102 one day!) but no humidity which made it tolerable. I would definitely not stay in Rapid City. We stayed in Custer 4 nights and Rapid City 2 nights. After the quiet small town feel of Custer, Rapid City just felt draining and there really is nothing in Rapid City worth seeing. Stay in Custer, Keystone or Hill City. Travel distances to everything worth seeing are not far and the drives are beautiful anyway. I would definitely see all of the above that prairiepirate mentioned. But plan on driving Needles Hwy. with the destination of Sylvan Lake in mind. Pack a lunch and spend the afternoon there. It is beautiful and has a really easy walking path around it. The water's a bit cold, but so what- plunge in! It's a beautiful setting. Another thing I'd recommend is doing a horseback trail ride. We went to Rocking R Trail Rides at the Allen Ranch near Hot Springs. It was reasonable and a beautiful ride up in the Black Hills. It didn't feel slick and comercialized like some of the other places looked. Hope this helps!