We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Mt Rushmore

Which Rapid City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
reviews: 33
Getting to Mt Rushmore

We will be in Rapid City late September, and would like to see the lighting ceremony at Mt Rushmore. Is there a way to get there by bus or a tour, we have a car but believe we will struggle during the day (wrong side of the road and all that) and cant even think about a night drive.

9 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 256
1. Re: Getting to Mt Rushmore

If you spend the night in Keystone then you will be right at Mt. Rushmore and would not have to drive but about 1/2 mile.

You are lucky because they stop the nightly lighting ceremony on Sept. 30.

Midwest
reviews: 18
2. Re: Getting to Mt Rushmore

If you stay in Rapid City, there are two bus companies that bring people up to the evening program from the local hotels. Gray Line of the Black Hills 605-342-4461 or stagecoach West Bus Service 605-343-3113.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
reviews: 35
3. Re: Getting to Mt Rushmore

I agree with staying in Keystone, which is right at the base of Mt. Rushmore. The drive won't be that far, and I think once you begin to familiarize yourselves with driving during the day, probably a short drive won't be that big of a deal.

Sydney
4. Re: Getting to Mt Rushmore

Thank you I will look at Keystone

Sydney
5. Re: Getting to Mt Rushmore

Thank you I will look at their web site..

Sydney
6. Re: Getting to Mt Rushmore

Very lucky...we will have to go the night of the 29th once again thank you for all your help

Rapid City, South...
reviews: 1
7. Re: Getting to Mt Rushmore

Not sure how long your trip is, but consider going to the Buffalo Roundup on Friday Sept. 27th. Approximately 1,300 buffalo are "roundup" during this event. September 28th and 29th, there is also an arts festival, dutch oven cook-off, and chili cook-off.

Sydney
8. Re: Getting to Mt Rushmore

Yes rapidcitylocal that is the reason we are in the area, we had to change our plans a bit as I was sure the roundup was on the Monday 30th. We will be staying for the Dutch oven cook off (which is ??) but will leave on the Sunday now, head to keystone then Deadwood then over to Yellowstone.

Thank you for you help

Sydney
9. Re: Getting to Mt Rushmore

Hi Rapid City local

Thought you might like to know we did the round up and the arts festival, as well as Rushmore. what a great place you live in, SD was amazing and we wish we could of stayed in places longer than we did...we loved Keystone, spent a whole day at Crazy Horse...loved Custer and the Park. Thank you for your advise

Reply to: Getting to Mt Rushmore
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted