We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Scenic Drive/Sights between Rapid City-Fargo-Winnipeg?

Which Rapid City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ontario
reviews: 95
Best Scenic Drive/Sights between Rapid City-Fargo-Winnipeg?

We have a few days between a hockey game in Minneapolis on April 9th until we need to pick up our son from university in Winnipeg, Manitoba. We are scheduled to pick him up on Saturday 13th but could delay until Sunday 14th. We thought it would be great to drive over to Rapid City, (long day on the 10th) to see Mount Rushmore, the Badlands, drive north through the south of Theodore Roosevelt National Memorial Park before heading back east to Fargo and up to Winnipeg.We don't mind continuing north through North Dakota into Saskatchewan, either. Any thoughts about highlights to see and where to stop/stay for 3/4 nights on the journey would be greatly appreciated. If we can avoid the interstates and take scenic highways we would prefer that.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
reviews: 35
1. Re: Best Scenic Drive/Sights between Rapid City-Fargo-Winnipeg?

You may want to post your inquiry on the road trips forum to cover all areas.

For your time in SD, since you are looking to focus on Mt. Rushmore and the Badlands, I'd consider staying in Keystone. It's right at Rushmore, and it would only take a little over an hour to get to the Badlands. If you have time, and the roads are accessible, I'd also try to visit some of Custer State Park as well. Weather could always be iffy at this time of year, so just be prepared to make a change of plans if necessary.

ontario
2. Re: Best Scenic Drive/Sights between Rapid City-Fargo-Winnipeg?

Thank you

ontario
3. Re: Best Scenic Drive/Sights between Rapid City-Fargo-Winnipeg?

Would you please post the link to the road trips forum? Having difficulty finding it! Thanks.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
reviews: 35
4. Re: Best Scenic Drive/Sights between Rapid City-Fargo-Winnipeg?

Sure. Here it is:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Sioux Falls, South...
Destination Expert
for Sioux Falls
reviews: 128
5. Re: Best Scenic Drive/Sights between Rapid City-Fargo-Winnipeg?

If you can tell me your route from Minneapolis to the Hills, I could help some with that part of the journey. I'm not much help with the return trip through North Dakota.

ontario
6. Re: Best Scenic Drive/Sights between Rapid City-Fargo-Winnipeg?

We'll take the I-90W to Sioux Falls, stop there at Falls Park and probably continue on to Keystone the same day, unless there is a loop off the I-90 before there that we should take. We'll dedicate time to Mount Rushmore and the Crazy Horse Memorial. What is in Custer that we should see? We want to drive the Needles Highway also.

Sioux Falls, South...
Destination Expert
for Sioux Falls
reviews: 128
7. Re: Best Scenic Drive/Sights between Rapid City-Fargo-Winnipeg?

It will take you about ten hours to get from Minneapolis to the Black Hills, so you probably won't have enough time for anything else other than a quick stop at Falls Park, as you mentioned. The Corn Palace in Mitchell does not take long to see. There's nothing much on the inside and the outside can be seen in about ten minutes.

It looks like you have two full days in the Hills. Mt. Rushmore takes a half day. The other half, I'd go to the Badlands. Spend the second full day in Custer State Park. I don't think you will have time for anything else.

I would stick to interstate highways when possible after you cross the Missouri River as it gets very isolated and desolate in between there and the Hills. Not the best situation if you have car trouble, run low on gas, etc.

I realize you are from Ontario and won't be this far west very often, but I think you are going to be missing out on a beautiful area by trying to cram everything in during such a short amount of time. Have you considered heading north from Minneapolis and hanging out in Duluth, for example, and saving the Hills for when you have at least week to enjoy them? I don't know your individual situation, but I personally would not drive all the way out there for just two days.

8. Re: Best Scenic Drive/Sights between Rapid City-Fargo-Winnipeg?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 03, 2014