We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sturgis trip

Which Rapid City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Home
reviews: 2
Sturgis trip

We are planning a 24 day trip from South Carolina to Sturgis SD . We have set reservations in Sturgis on 7 days from departure and wanted some helpful insight on our travel options. We want to see Yellowstone and also take the most scenic route to and from. We are not sure of the needed time to see Yellowstone making us unsure if we should see it before or after Sturgis . All helpful info would be greatly appreciated as well as sights throughoutmour travels worth visiting.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
reviews: 35
1. Re: Sturgis trip

Most stop in SD enroute to Yellowstone, as it makes most sense. I assume Yellowstone is your final stopping point?

As far as time needed for seeing Yellowstone, you really need at least a week, particularly if you incorporate the Grand Tetons, which are so close, you'd be foolish not to.

Are you just planning on staying in Sturgis, or are you coming to the rally? If you aren't coming to the rally, I don't think I'd personally stay in Sturgis to see the Black Hills, as it's not really central to the sights. Staying in that area will add close to an hour's drive time to get to the major attractions.

I'd highly recommend posting on the road trips forum for suggested routes since this is going to involved a fair amount of driving. I also suggest posting more information on that forum (final destination, interests, etc) so that advisors can help you better.

Rapid City, South...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Sturgis trip

The first question I have is when will you be in Sturgis/the Black Hills area? The time of year can have an impact on what will be recommended. The 73rd Annual Sturgis Rally is August 5-11th each year and attracts hundreds of thousands of bikers. Hotel prices are higher because of the demand (especially in Sturgis) and traffic is congested, but the attractions are still easily accessible.

Are you primarily looking for a scenic route, or do you have other ideas in mind for your trip? The Black Hills is filled with a variety of scenic cruises like Iron Mountain Road, Needles Highway, and the Spearfish Canyon Scenic Byway (Spearfish is about 23 miles from Sturgis, so only a little further for more gorgeous views). Another recommendation is the wildlife loop at Custer State Park. Consisting of 71,000 acres, the park is home to the nation's largest free roaming buffalo herd and various wildlife.

Assuming you're coming from the East, make a stop at the Minuteman Missile National Historic Site (aka Minuteman Missile Silo) for a little Cold War history added to your trip. And you'll definitely want to make the drive through Badlands National Park on your way to Sturgis.

Is this you and your significant other or will you have other family members and/or children with you?

On your way to Sturgis, you’re going to pass through Rapid City, which is home to the City of Presidents, a tour downtown featuring life-size bronze statues of the nation's presidents, Main Street Square (also downtown), a public park and features interactive fountains and live entertainment in the summer, The Journey Museum, which educates visitors about the history of the Black Hills, and more. Rapid is about 25 miles from Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse Memorial – if you haven’t been, you should make a point to visit!

3. Re: Sturgis trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 15, 2014