We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a place with a view

Which Rapid City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Turner, Maine
reviews: 22
Looking for a place with a view

Going to the Black Hills/Badlands area in early July. We'd like to find a place with a nice view. Somewhere in the $100-150 a night range. Suitable for 3 people. Not too rustic Let's say within a 20 mile radius of Rapid City. Thanks for any thoughts.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 296
1. Re: Looking for a place with a view

We love the K Bar S Lodge in Keystone. It is off the road and sits in the shadow of Mt. Rushmore. Each morning we had deer and turkey visit us outside the breakfast area.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
reviews: 35
2. Re: Looking for a place with a view

Yes, K Bar S would certainly fit the bill. It is really the only hotel with a "real" view of Rushmore. I have not stayed at K Bar S, but they are sometimes sold out. They have tour groups that come in, so if you are interested in it, I'd book as soon as possible. I tried to reserve it for up summer trip, and it was already sold out.

Although I have not stayed here, there's another motel that offers a view of Rapid City called the Big Sky Lodge. Here's a link to the reviews on TA:

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Take a look at the pictures. I'm not sure if you will find it too rustic. Although the motel is considered a budget property, it's well rated on this site., and the views look wonderful. I will say that Rapid City isn't quite as central to the attractions as Keystone, Hill City or Custer. Right now, I can't think of anything else with a view. I like the Roosevelt Inn in Keystone, and there's a view from the balcony, but it overlooked the road in and the surrounding properties. It was not particularly scenic.

Let us know if we can assist further. Have a great trip.

reviews: 1
3. Re: Looking for a place with a view

K Bar S. Definitely. Can't be beat. Can see Mt. Rushmore. About 1/2 hour from Rapid. You won't be disappointed.

Sturgis, South...
reviews: 19
4. Re: Looking for a place with a view

You should check out the Historic Hotel Alex Johnson in downtown Rapid City. They have a rooftop lounge that you can see the entire city and surrounding hills from.

Rapid City, South...
reviews: 1
5. Re: Looking for a place with a view

There are several hotels within Rapid City with great views: Alex Johnson (floors 7-9), Big Sky Lodge, Canyon Lake Resort, and Adoba Eco Hotel (floors 7-8). Other hotels with decent views (keep your eyes on the horizon) are Grand Gateway, Comfort Suites, and Cambria.

Outside of Rapid, the other posters are correct - K Bar S has a spectacular view of Mount Rushmore. However, these rooms are typically high in demand and there's no guarantee you'll be able to book a room at this hotel within your budget during July.

Be sure to tell the front desk staff that you're wanting a room with a view of the hills!

Turner, Maine
6. Re: Looking for a place with a view

Thank you everyone for the help. We have found the place we're looking for. Can't wait for our trip!!!

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
reviews: 35
7. Re: Looking for a place with a view

tnt, where did you choose?

Turner, Maine
8. Re: Looking for a place with a view

From a separate post titled "Cole Cabins", I received a response from mountainmama52. She gave me a list of recommendations including Alpine Cabins. http://www.alpinecabins.net/ . Four rental homes, very nice. A bit more pricey than we wanted but we said screw it. Looks really nice.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 12
9. Re: Looking for a place with a view

May I ask which cabin you have chosen from Alpine Cabins? We have been renting from them for the past 10 years and have been extremely pleased. We usually rent the RW but have also stayed in the GB. The RW's view is hard to beat. I should mention that the RW has a lot of stairs in case that is a problem for your mother. The GB is also nice but does not have the panoramic view. It is somewhat seculded though and is in a wooded, serene area. If the cabin of your choice is not available, there are other cabins in the area managed by Edelweiss Mountain that have nice views. One in particular that comes to mind is the Eagle's Loft which is next door to the RW. If I can help you with any info about the cabins just let me know.

Turner, Maine
10. Re: Looking for a place with a view

We wound up in the RW. Looks like there is a first floor bedroom. If not, she is OK with stairs. It's already booked so I think we will stay with it, Again, thanks for the help.