We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Rapid City, SD to Casper, WY- Fun Route Stops

Which Rapid City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mesa, Arizona
Drive from Rapid City, SD to Casper, WY- Fun Route Stops

Hi,

We are flying into Rapid City, SD in May 2013 and driving one-way to Casper, WY over 4 day weekend. We plan on spending at least a day/night in Sturgis as we are both Harley enthusiasts. But other than that.... no itinerary.

My boyfriend and I like to see unusual/unique sites/spots, shop, and eat/grab a beer at local haunts.

Does anyone have any good suggestions?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 232
1. Re: Drive from Rapid City, SD to Casper, WY- Fun Route Stops

Stop by Sundance WY and Devils Tower. Interesting place to stop!!

Are you going to Mt. Rushmore, Custer State Park and Deadwood while in the Rapid City area?

Here is the link to an online travel guide for the Black Hills-

www.travelsd.com

Enjoy your trip!!

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
reviews: 35
2. Re: Drive from Rapid City, SD to Casper, WY- Fun Route Stops

Since you are going in May, not all places will be open. I was also thinking about Vore Buffalo Jump which isn't too far from Devil's Tower, but it doesn't open up until summer.

I'm not sure if you will find enough to entertain you in Sturgis for a day/night since the rally isn't going on. From what I hear, the town is very quiet during non-rally times.

In addition to those places mentioned by Peach, I'd also try to include a drive through Spearfish Canyon, Badlands National Park, Crazy Horse, Wind Cave and Jewel Cave. A rather "quirky" place would be the Cosmos Mystery Area, but I'm not sure of the hours in May. The Cosmos is a place of unexplained happenings, like balls rolling uphill, etc.

I have read the Firehouse Restaurant is a good place in Rapid City for dining. You might also consider Big Time Pizza in Keystone (the BEST pizza you will find!), any of the lodges in Custer State Park, the Alpine Inn, and if you are into wine, I hear Prairie Berry Winery in Hill city has some good homemade wines.

Definitely order the travel planner Peach mentioned. It will be a tremendous help.

Have a great trip, and let us know if we can help further.

Rockford, Illinois
reviews: 124
3. Re: Drive from Rapid City, SD to Casper, WY- Fun Route Stops

I would definitely suggest Devil's Tower, as well as the other usual places in the Black Hills. Devil's Tower was one of the highlights of our trip!

Rockford, Illinois...
4. Re: Drive from Rapid City, SD to Casper, WY- Fun Route Stops

It really depends on what interests you and your boyfriend. I have been to Sturgis for the rally several times, but there is not a whole lot to see or do when the rally is not in town. Thus, I myself would not allocate much time for Sturgis other than to drive through and maybe a quick stop. The last 2 years our family vacation has been to the Black Hills, so I have been there outside of the rally too.

That said - I would focus on the beauty of the Black Hills. I would recommend driving Spearfish Canyon, Iron Mountain road, Needles highway and the Wildlife Loop in Custer SP. Most of these can be hit while on your way to and from some of the area’s attractions – Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Wind Cave, Jewel Cave. I would also recommend driving through the Badlands (this is east of Rapid City), as it is really neat.

Devils Tower is neat and could be hit on your way to Casper. Another attraction is the Mammoth Site in Hot Springs – if it is something that interests you.

You will be ahead of the summer travel season, so you should be able to get hotels where you want at decent rates.

5. Re: Drive from Rapid City, SD to Casper, WY- Fun Route Stops

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:34 am, January 29, 2014
Hill City, South...
6. Re: Drive from Rapid City, SD to Casper, WY- Fun Route Stops

Sounds like a fun trip! slrtravelplanner, thanks for mentioning Prairie Berry. We make wine right here in South Dakota (many from South Dakota fruits), and we also serve fresh, housemade, seasonal food. Hill City has some great stores, art galleries, a geology museum, four wineries/tasting rooms and is on the way to Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse. We may be biased, but it is worth the stop.

You've got some great recommendations. May is beautiful, but you will want to check hours before you make any plans. Some of the seasonal businesses are open then, but hours are pretty iffy that time of year.

I hope you have a great trip, and please contact us if you have any questions or want details about anything.

7. Re: Drive from Rapid City, SD to Casper, WY- Fun Route Stops

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 17, 2013