We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sturgis rally

Which Rapid City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Amsterdam, New York
Sturgis rally

We are planning a trip for next year for sturgis, which town would be best to stay in that is kind of close to sturgis (do not want to stay right in the craziness) but also convenient to all the other sights and good motorcycle rides. Thanks for the inf

Custer, South...
1. Re: Sturgis rally

At www.custersd.com you will find that Custer is an hour and 15 minutes from Sturgis and centrally located to all the major attractions in the Black Hills including Jewel Cave (15 min away), Wind Cave (30 min away), Custer State Park (5 min away), Crazy Horse (5 min away), Mt. Rushmore (25 min away), Needles Hwy (10 min away), Mammoth Site (40 min away) and Wild Horse Sanctuary (55 min away). Right in Custer we have Flintstones Theme Park, National Museum of Woodcarving, Grizzly Gulch Mini Golf, The Grand Magic Show and many more!

Some of the best motorcycle rides will be on Needles Hwy, Iron Mountain Road, Wildlife Loop Road, through Hell Canyon on Hwy 16, and Hwy 87 from Custer State Park to Wind Cave National Park.

There are numerous shops, restaurants, hotels/motels, cabins, campgrounds, bed and breakfasts, parks, and friendly faces in Custer! For outdoor lovers we have several lakes, many hiking and biking trails, rock climbing, golfing, disc golf, swimming, horseback riding, ATV trials, and chuck wagon dinners. For more information please visit our website: www.custersd.com and find us on Facebook!

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
reviews: 35
2. Re: Sturgis rally

Other options would be Hill City or Keystone, which are about an hour from Sturgis. Rapid City is a spot to stay in if you are looking for a more urban setting. It's most convenient to the Badlands, which is also a great place to ride as long as you go early. It gets very warm there.

Deadwood & Lead are a little bit closer to Sturgis but not as convenient to the attractions in the central hills. When choosing lodgng, just remember that the closer you are to Sturgis, the more money you will pay. Rates will be at a premium at that time. Also...book early!

To me, the best spots are really Keystone, Hill City or Custer. It's funny...I was just talking to a friend who visits Sturgis every year, and he always chooses Hill City's Rafter J Campground. I don't know if you are campers, however. I know he enjoys Hill City.

All the rides mentioned by the chamber are great, regardless of your mode of transportation.

Have a great time, and stop back if you think of more questions.

Rapid City, South...
reviews: 57
3. Re: Sturgis rally

Spearfish is a small town but with everyday stuff (restaurants, hotels, walmart) nice camping town too. Rapid city, if your wanting a "big" city. Custer, keystone & deadwood are nice touristy places too, however they are small towns, with tourist prices in the summer and are usually booked waaaaaayyyy in advance for the rally. Just depends on what your looking for

Sturgis, South...
reviews: 19
4. Re: Sturgis rally

I live a few blocks from the insanity in Sturgis and used to live in Spearfish, Rapid, and Lead, and I'd recommend Spearfish. The whole region is somewhat overrun during that two week period but the amenities mentioned in Spearfish are nice and you are close to great scenery (Spearfish Canyon). I know last year the hotels weren't booked up but that's real hit or miss.

Bellingham, WA
reviews: 17
5. Re: Sturgis rally

This coming year will be my fourth trip to the Sturgis Rally. Previous years I've stayed at The Buffalo Chip. Great fun, but, it is, as are all the larger camp grounds, outside of Sturgis proper. Traveling to and from The Buffalo Chip is crazy crowded. Though, you could spend the whole rally at The Chip and have a great time. For the 2013 rally we will be staying in Spearfish. Spearfish is close to Sturgis and offers easy access to all the sights, events and rides that make this rally GREAT. Spearfish offers restaurants and shopping that make the rally much more relaxed and enjoyable. We are looking for a bit of a less hectic rally this year. One that offers more riding and less setting in traffic. Anyone know if there are any shuttle services that run from Spearfish to Sturgis?

6. Re: Sturgis rally

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 14, 2013