We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Dakota X country trip

Which Rapid City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
reviews: 2
South Dakota X country trip

So a friend and I will be driving to SD from NYC in June....

our destination is the Rapid City area and its attractions. We really only have about 36 hrs or there abouts there. We are arriving on a Tuesday around noon...and need to leave by around midnight Wednesday...

here is a list (still open to change and I know it will) of the things we have interest in...

I totally realize we cant do all if even half of these things but wanted to gauge what might work travel efficiency wise and all that

Mt. Rushmore

Devils Tower

Corn Palace

Crazy Horse (maybe)

Badlands NP

Needles Highway

Spearfish Canyon

Black Hills NF

im sure i havent done full research to know others, but most of those peaked out interest...Devils Tower and Mt. Rush are musts IMO and maybe Needles Highway...either Bandlands or Black Hills is a must too, just not sure which one...there is a chance we could arrive before noon, but Im being conservative by saying that.

We love to hike and are pretty adventurous...any help would be great

New York
reviews: 60
51. Re: South Dakota X country trip

Wow Cruscrnshw, two weeks away and two dogs to take with you! You will not be lacking for entertainment during your drive.

Your dogs are not barkers? My maltese is and I am concerned that he would bark a lot and get overheated in the car. I did find pet friendly hotels that will allow him in the room as long as he is crated. That is my salvation! We each do what we have to.

Glad to hear about your extra day.. Even 24 hours makes a big difference.

I will take my laptop with us so I will log onto your review even if it is late. Have fun at the wedding too!! They are always fun.

Good luck! Have a safe and happy trip.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
reviews: 35
52. Re: South Dakota X country trip

Be safe out there Cruscrnshw! :) Enjoy your trip.

New York
53. Re: South Dakota X country trip

Thanks all...help Ive gotten has been amazing..

Xerete. When do you leave for your trip?

Also not sure if you mistook me for someone else, but there is no wedding I will be attending on this trip lol...unless you mean the wedding when I get back (the day after)...lol

New York
54. Re: South Dakota X country trip

I have not booked a hotel yet. Looking to do the Lodge one night in Deadwood and the other probably inKeystone or Hill City...forget the name, but they were pet friendly.

Am I going to have a problem just showing up that day? Reason we are waiting is because you never know if plans change....

Tomorrow 7pm I take off!

Again, thanks to everyone for all the help!!!!

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 12
55. Re: South Dakota X country trip

You may have a problem and you may not. It depends on how well tourism is going in SD. You are going into the peak tourist season out there so I would recommend booking before you go. Especially since you are traveling with dogs.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
reviews: 35
56. Re: South Dakota X country trip

I'm probably the wrong person to ask this question, but I'd book in advance, particularly since you will need something pet friendly. Some places let you cancel up until 6 p.m. the day of arrival. That might be something to consider. I am the type who always books ahead of time, as I like my plans set. I wouldn't excpect the area to be super crowded, so I would think you could find something, but my concern would be that not all places take pets. My other thought would be to call ahead to places of interest and see how filled they appear space-wise for the next few days.

Have a good trip, and we are looking to hearing back from you.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
reviews: 33
57. Re: South Dakota X country trip

Make sure you park in the covered parking lot at Mt Rushmore, will keep the dog much cooler. When we were there years ago, rangers were breaking into a sealed car in the uncovered lot to get to a dog left for a long time. I bet the owners got in a bit of trouble. Have a great trip.

www.nps.gov/moru/planyourvisit/pets.htm

58. Re: South Dakota X country trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 pm, June 19, 2013