We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which cell phone company for wy, sd, co, utah,mt & which...

Which Rapid City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
nefyn
reviews: 4
which cell phone company for wy, sd, co, utah,mt & which...

visiting from uk without cell phone in August.

Is there any particular cell phone for all these areas or particular company AT&T etc which will work in all states. Thinking of buing a cell phone on ebay!

Please help.

Rapid City, SD
reviews: 1
1. Re: which cell phone company for wy, sd, co, utah,mt & which...

I'd find one that has decent rates for the Verizon network as that is probably the most popular in the widespread area that you listed.

The other popular network in the area is Cellular One but there are different Cellular One networks around the country and this one has recently been bought by Altel. So there may be some confusion involved about where it works at an acceptable rate.

Illinois
reviews: 181
2. Re: which cell phone company for wy, sd, co, utah,mt & which...

We were out in SD, WY and MT last summer and had good luck with our Cingulair. People we traveled with had Nextel-never worked. Our phone was 4 years old at the time and worked fine so I don't think you need any great model-worry more about the service provider.

nefyn
3. Re: which cell phone company for wy, sd, co, utah,mt & which...

thank you........is it only tri-band phones that work in the States? Sorry but phone dyslexic ! We just want the added bonus/security of a phone in the car as we are travelling with 2 kids for 3 weeks!

Many thanks once again

Paris, France
reviews: 7
4. Re: which cell phone company for wy, sd, co, utah,mt & which...

bonjour from your Parisian neighbour.

I'm travelling 3 or 4 times per year to USA and I had the same problem as you. Let me tell you that you always can buy a cellular phone but, when you will ask to open the line, any company will ask you to give your "identification number" which is an AMERICAN IDENTIFICATION for any resident ! even if it's with a prepaid limited contract ! I had this problem 1 time in Florida with Verizon and 1 time in Arizona with another company, I don't remembe the name... But, ANY CELLULAR PHONE which is TRIBANDE IS WORKING ! it's exactly what librarychick is writting. I have an old MOTOROLA and my daughter has a little NOKIA and we are arriving to USA with a french contract. When you will open your cellular phone in USA, this wonderful little machine will automaticly search and find the right company. Each time you will move to another place, the cellular phone will start again to search... Not necessary to be an expert. Concerning the cost, it depens your "english contract", as you will pay when you will be back home. Don't use it to call your hotel or for this kind of reasons. To reduce all these costs, I'm always buying a phone card to be used in any public phone. Hope this will be helpfull. I'm also visiting Wyoming for 3 weeks this coming august. Au revoir.

nefyn
5. Re: which cell phone company for wy, sd, co, utah,mt & which...

Thank you kindly for your post.

I don't have a contract phone, but was hoping to buy here/or in USA a pay as you go phone and buy a sim card on arrival in usa? I was just wondering what kind of phone would work here in UK and in USA (as I need a new phone anyway)

it seems that no one company (cingulair , AT & T) etc will work in all areas that wea re visiting - so I am more confused than ever. Perhaps I should stick to buying the local phone cards which work well everywhere??

Thank you again.

Paris, France
reviews: 7
6. Re: which cell phone company for wy, sd, co, utah,mt & which...

hello again nerys0

I'm sorry if my english is not enough good... The cellular phone is one thing, and the telephon company is another thing. From my experience, the american providers will not open any line for you, as you don't have this " identification number ". Means that I bought a cellular phone WITH a sim card 2 times but, at the end, it was not possible for them to open the line. And they never gave back the money. For your info, in France, it's now the same. If you don't have a french address, you cannot buy a "sim card". If you are planning to buy a cellular phone now for you, you just have to buy a TRI-BAND; I'm using a MOTOROLA and I have a sim card from ORANGE. (it's french but it's also english, as far as I know !). Just, be sure that you can use this "prepaid card" abrod !

after that, if the cellular phone is a tri-band, you just have to open it when you arrive to USA and automaticly, the machine will connect to any local provider ! If you buy a local prepaid phone card, it's really the cheaper way. Go to any Wallmart or supermarket. Price start 5 USD and for local calls like calling your hotel, it's less than 10 cents per minut. To call England, it's less than 0.50 USD PER MINUT. Nothing to compare with our tariff here in Europe.

Hope this time my explanations were better understandable. Have a nice vacations.

Rapid City, SD
reviews: 16
7. Re: which cell phone company for wy, sd, co, utah,mt & which...

We have two cell companies here that I am aware of, Alltel and Verizon. I have heard that people with a T-Mobile from Idaho have been able to get service while visiting here but can't confirm and have heard nothing of Cingulair.

I've heard negative things and positive things equally about both carriers. In my experience Alltel, when it was Cell-One, seemed to have the best coverage when you got deeper into the Black Hills. Can't say if that's true for the mountainous areas of the other states.

While traveling from Rapid City SD to Denver CO, there have been some sketchy spots through WY where there was no service for either carrier. Same can be said about traveling across SD state.

Illinois
reviews: 181
8. Re: which cell phone company for wy, sd, co, utah,mt & which...

I guess the big question is who are you planning to call and where are you planning to call from? If you want to be able to call within the states, say from your hotel room or a pay phone, skip the cell phone and buy the prepaid calling card here in the states. Like I had said before, our Cingular phone worked better than Nextel but there were definitely dead areas in South Dakota, Montana and Wyoming-big country without cell towers (which is reason enough to visit!). Our best reception was at the top of mountains in the Tetons and Yellowstone. If you want to be able to call home, I'm not sure if a calling card is the best bet but I can't say for sure. My husband travels to Canada every summer and the calling card is kind of a ripoff-charges like 300 minutes for the first call but then it's okay per minute-just a terrible "activation" charge. I guess if you just want to be able to call ahead to hotels, restaurants, etc. then a calling card is the way to go and definitely buy it from Walmart (or if you know anybody in the States have them get you one from Sam's Club-you have to be a member but it's the cheapest). I just realized I rambled on quite a bit here but hope this helps some.

wales
reviews: 55
9. Re: which cell phone company for wy, sd, co, utah,mt & which...

Thank you all for your replies.

My main reason for bringing my tri band cell phone is to ring back home to UK (or to be at the end of a phone to those back in the UK if need be) we usually have a calling card which works fine.........again calling UK from USA.

My main query is which cell phone company will work better, coverage wise, for all areas we are visiting.......... SD CO WY MT UT.

Thanks again

Rapid City
10. Re: which cell phone company for wy, sd, co, utah,mt & which...

With my Verizon phone I had coverage all through the Black Hills and down in the Co and Ut regions. Wyoming doesnt have much coverage for either service or many others for that matter unless you are near a city. If you are just driving through from the SD down to Co you wont have much service untill you get almost to the Co border.