We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location of grocery stores

Which Hill City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
crawley
Location of grocery stores

We will be travelling form Deadwood to a cabin near Hill City/ Keystone in September. As we will probably be arriving in the evening , I was wondering where the best place to buy food, etc... would be as I don't really want to drive into Rapid City that night ?

Also, any tips on a good route ? In case there's something that we can see on the way ?

10 replies to this topic
Sioux Falls, South...
reviews: 138
1. Re: Location of grocery stores

sending you a private message to answer this question

Black Hawk, South...
reviews: 58
2. Re: Location of grocery stores

How are you getting to Deadwood in the first place? There are no grocery stores in Deadwood but they opened a new Dollar General store today, everything but fresh produce, or so they claim. There is a super Wal-Mart in Spearfish, closer than Rapid City.

Since it sounds like you are traveling at night, stay on the main route, usually Hwy 385. There will be lots of wildlife running around so be careful. You don't want to risk getting lost going off the main route at night.Those forest service roads can get very confusing in daylight, even with a good map.

crawley
3. Re: Location of grocery stores

Hi, thanks for your reply. We are coming in to Deadwood from Devils Tower .We start our trip in Jackson Hole, go through Grand Teton Ntl Park, Yellowstone, Cody , Sheridan , Deadwood and then finish up in a cabin near Keystone for 5 nights .We are coming in September this year. I will check out the route via Spearfish so we can get supplies .

Black Hawk, South...
4. Re: Location of grocery stores

I see that you've made lots of forum inquires over the years about different places but never any reviews.

.How about sharing some experiences?

crawley
5. Re: Location of grocery stores

I never really thought about it, to be honest. We always have such a great time when we come over . I love the USA-it's so diverse .Do you normally post experiences on the forum, or just under hotel reviews , do you mean ? Last time it was Atlanta, Smokey Mtns, Nashville, Memphis and New Orleans . Can't wait to come to SD and WY. Have been planning this for about 3 years !

Black Hawk, South...
6. Re: Location of grocery stores

You post reviews at the individual listing for the establishment, be it a motel/hotel/B&B, restautant, or attraction.

I believe that was the original purpose of TA, people giving 1st hand accounts of their experiences at travel related businesses all over the world.

Somebody else can jump in here and correct me if I'm wrong or expand on the subject.

crawley
7. Re: Location of grocery stores

Ah I thought you meant give an account of our trip-like a blog . I will give it some thought and post something on some hotels etc.... Thankyou .

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 12
8. Re: Location of grocery stores

Hill City has a nice little grocery store called Krull's located on the west side of Hwy. 365 on the north side of town. Prices are probably better in Rapid City, but considering the extra gas you will be using it probably is not worth driving the extra miles. We always do our shopping at Krull's and are able to get everything we need. I am not sure how late they are open, though.

crawley
9. Re: Location of grocery stores

Thank you . I checked out Krulls website and it looks just what we need. We'll be able to call in on the way through. We won't be ever so late as we'll never find the cabin in the dark-ha ha !

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 144
10. Re: Location of grocery stores

Hill City on Hwy, 385 has a large grocery store; I think it was called Krulls. Continue past the store heading north and you might see bighorn sheep by the rocks along the left side of the road before you get to Sheridan Lake. Not every day, of course.

Reply to: Location of grocery stores
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted