We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Sturgis

Which Hill City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
Travel to Sturgis

I need some info on travel from Hill city or Rapid City to Sturgis during Bike Week. We are 2 'mature' Scottish ladies and plan to be in South Dakota from 5th to 15th August and want to spend at least a couple of days at Sturgis but have no idea how to get there and back each day.

It looks like we can stay in either Hill City or Rapid City as hotels are so expensive nearer to Sturgis and availability is difficult.

We are happy to travel on public transport of take a cab if not too expensive. We would expect to spend the whole of each day at Sturgis so looking for return travel each day.

2 replies to this topic
Sioux Falls, South...
Destination Expert
for Sioux Falls
reviews: 129
1. Re: Travel to Sturgis

If you don't have transportation, don't stay in Hill City. It's too far from Sturgis (much further south). A taxi would cost you a fortune. The Black Hills is normally a sparsely populated rural area and therefore doesn't have regular public transportation. Having a car is really the best way to get around. Understandably, though, if you want to party at the rally, a shuttle is the safest thing to use.

Here's a link to areas served by DaBus shuttle during the rally:

www.sturgisbus.com/index.php…

Here's a link to areas served by Dakota Taxi during the rally:

http://www.dakotataxi.com/rally.html

If Sturgis is too pricey for you, check into Deadwood or Spearfish. Both are much closer than Hill City.

Finally, here's a response from a local to a question about shuttle service to and from Rapid City:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g54818-i3799-k7190…

Others may come on here with much better information. Take their advice over mine. I'm definitely not a rally expert.

Edinburgh, United...
2. Re: Travel to Sturgis

This was great, thanks for all the input. Unfortunately it looks like the nearest we can get to Sturgis is Rapid City and as we fly in to there we will need to base ourselves in this area albeit very expensive for the first few days. If anyone knows any good transport links from Rapid City to anywhere on the DaBus route then that should sort us out.

Reply to: Travel to Sturgis
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted