We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trailside Park Resort?

Which Hill City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Iowa
reviews: 4
Trailside Park Resort?

We're booked into a cabin and wondered if anyone has stayed here? We hear it's walking distance to Hill City? The cabins look fairly new and we're looking forward to our get-a-way. Any tidbits about Trailside or the area is much appreciated.

4 replies to this topic
Sioux Falls, South...
Destination Expert
for Sioux Falls
reviews: 129
1. Re: Trailside Park Resort?

Didn't stay at the TrailSide. Hill City is a great base. Do lunch at the Alpine Inn or if you're ambitious, you can try the cheap but tasty filet mignon supper. To do the supper, get a table in the bar at 4:30 so you are among the first in line for the 5:00 opening rush or do a very late supper, say 8:30ish. They don't accept credit cards.

Hill City has a grocery store (Krull's), which has the essentials, but the prices are high. I'm assuming you're driving from Iowa. Either stock up in Rapid City at Walmart first (not sure if you'd drive through here, though, depends on which way you arrive) or bring nonperishables with you from Iowa and hit Krull's for perishables.

If you do any shopping or eating on the main drag in Hill City, be warned parking is tricky. The best thing to do is park on a side street and be prepared to walk a little ways.

Prairie Berry Winery is on the edge of town and is a good place to eat.

You might be able to hear the 1880 Train whistle from your lodging. We thought this was kind of neat.

Hill City, SD
2. Re: Trailside Park Resort?

Krull's Market is an excellent grocry store. Support the local people who are here to help you with your stay. Our business owners are volunteer firefighters and EMTs that help hundreds of tourists a year.

Sioux Falls, South...
Destination Expert
for Sioux Falls
reviews: 129
3. Re: Trailside Park Resort?

First of all, thank you for your service to the community. I did indeed do a lot of shopping at Krull's ($200+ dollars worth) on my last trip and therefore patronized your business. However, for families traveling on a tight budget, you cannot argue that Walmart is less expensive, and due to the size of the store, has a larger selection. I have a child who is on a very special diet and I had a hard time finding many of our usual items at Krull's.

When people ask about where to stay on this forum, I mention your grocery store as a "pro" for staying in Hill City as opposed to Keystone, which does not have a grocery store. Your store was also a reason that our family chose to stay in Hill City. If you check out the Top Questions link about where to base in the Black Hills, I mention your store as a possible reason to select Hill City.

Have a wonderful holiday weekend, and again, thank you for your service.

rapid city
reviews: 8
4. Re: Trailside Park Resort?

Nice place- cabins are new - convenient location. Krulls is actually one if my favorite places to shop- people are nice and the selection is good- best burger joint in the world is in Custer -20to 25 minutes away- Black Hills Burger and Bun- awesome.

Reply to: Trailside Park Resort?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted