We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deadwood for NonGamblers?

Which Deadwood hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jackson, Tennessee
Deadwood for NonGamblers?

We will be traveling in the area next year and considering Deadwood for a couple of nights. We will be traveling with my parents ages 70 and 68, and my two kids, 14 and 11. None of the adults are gamblers, but the historical aspects of Deadwood are interesting. We are looking for a place to stay for a couple of nights as a jumping off place for sites such as Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial, etc. Would we be better off staying in Rapid City and making a day trip to Deadwood, or actually staying in Deadwood?

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
reviews: 35
1. Re: Deadwood for NonGamblers?

If you are staying in the area for a length of time (i.e. a week), you might consider dividing your time between the northern and central Black Hills regions. I would recommend no more than 2 nights in the northern region (Deadwood, Lead or Spearfish), and the balance of your time staying in the central region (Keystone, Hill City or Custer). These towns are much closer to the major attractions than Rapid City, plus you will receive a much more small town feel staying in these more rural communities. The great thing is that you can be to Rapid City in 30 minutes when traveling from Keystone, so it's good if you need an urban fix.

If you are only in the area for a short stint, Deadwood is a very do-able daytrip. It's about an hour's drive. Since you are not gamblers, I'd probably opt out of staying in Deadwood, even with your interest in its history. However, you might want to stay in the area if you are interested in making the daytrip out to Devil's Tower. Spearfish Canyon is also a very worthwhile attraction in the area.

If you haven't already done so, be sure to order a travel planner from travelsd.com so you can get a feel for all the area has to offer.

Have a great trip, and let us know if you have additional questions.

Jackson, Wisconsin
reviews: 124
2. Re: Deadwood for NonGamblers?

We stayed one night as part of our trip. We had the kids with and stayed at the comfort Inn Gulches of fun which has a go kart track and bumper boats.in Deadwood itself the main thing to see with the family is the Mt Moriah Cemetery. Which takes less than an hour. We also watched the reenactment of the Wild Bill shooting. I believe Lead has a gold mine tour and you would be closer to Devils Tower if you plan to visit it. that is about it . The rest of the time we were in Keystone( rented a house) and also spent one night in Badlands.

Boston, MA
reviews: 51
3. Re: Deadwood for NonGamblers?

We were really disappointed with all the glitz in Deadwood. Felt like it was hard to experience the history through it all. We stayed in Custer and really loved that. Also, the drive through Spearfish canyon is amazing!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 279
4. Re: Deadwood for NonGamblers?

Great info from all. If only there for a short time- 3-4 days then I would opt to stay in either Keystone or Hill City. We like the K Bar S Lodge in Keystone. We like staying in the same hotel if possible if staying for a short time.

5. Re: Deadwood for NonGamblers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:34 am, January 29, 2014
Boston...
reviews: 211
6. Re: Deadwood for NonGamblers?

Keep in mind I have never been there but all my research has pointed to Custer being a great place to stay particularly if your going to the State Park (sounds like this is must see for most). Again, I haven't been but fwiw we are staying 2 nights at the Rocket Motel (highly reviewed and they are inexpensive/very clean and the older folk might really enjoy the 50's vibe of the place. We are then staying in Badlands National Park (Newer Cedar Lodge cabin) for a night, then Deadwood at the Martin Mason Hotel (hisoric vibe). Not sure if the Martin Mason Hotel would be up your alley (we're very into history and love staying at places with historical feel) and not sure you are into the National Parks, but I think the adults and kids would love it if they haven't been and staying for a night be a very memorable experience. The views right from the cabins are amazing!!!

Hope this helps. Have a great trip!!!

7. Re: Deadwood for NonGamblers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 20, 2014