We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black Hills SD with Kids

Which Deadwood hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
rochester, mn
reviews: 49
Black Hills SD with Kids

We are planning a trip to the Black Hills this summer and have a few questions...hoping someone can give us some insight! We are traveling with 3 kids ages 12-3. Need ideas on where to stay, preferably a cabin, resort, lodge with AC and pool or waterpark. When would be the best time to go? Besides the obvious big tourist spots any kid ideas for entertainment, food, etc.?

Thanks

Sioux Falls, South...
1. Re: Black Hills SD with Kids

I live in south dakota and our family goes to the Black Hills twice a year. We like to stay at the Palmer Gulch campground which has cabin rental. They have a pool for the kids and a nice pancake feed in the morning. Palmer Gulch is pretty centrally located. If you want something rustic yet a little more upscale, I highly recommend staying at any of the lodges in state Custer State Park -- I believe there are four, and they are all very nice. The chuckwagon ride is a little spendy but nice and fun. Custer State Park is really beautiful, and I recommend taking " the wildlife loop" road trip.

http://www.custerresorts.com

http://www.palmergulch.com

Rapid City, SD
reviews: 1
2. Re: Black Hills SD with Kids

The most kid-friendly lodge in Custer State Park is probably Legion Lake. But if you're looking for a pool instead of a lake, you better opt for a setup outside of the park.

Two of the most popular kids attractions are on US16 between Rapid City and Mount Rushmore. Reptile Gardens and Bear Country. There is also a petting zoo between the two.

As far as a time to go, I'd pick somewhere between mid-June and the end of August as long as it's not during the Sturgis Rally (Aug. 4-12). Anything before then can make for some cold visits to the outdoor swimming pool.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
reviews: 35
3. Re: Black Hills SD with Kids

We visited in late August last year, and it was a great time. Crowds were very light. It actually was on cool side,but I think that was a bit unusual. We left the Friday before Labor Day. We stayed in Keystone at the Roosevelt Inn in a family suite. It was very nice, but there was only 3 of us. I'm not sure about cabins in the area, but I'm sure they are out there.

Like Accomodator said, Bear Country & Reptile Gardens are great for kids. We also enjoyed the Mammoth site in Hot Springs. You might also want to add Evans Plunge in Hot Springs. It's a small waterpark fed by a hot spring. Some of it is indoors, and some is outdoors. The kids will enjoy the many caves also. Wind & Jewel, both operated by the National Park Service, are the best!

Be sure to visit these 2 websites: blackhillstv.com & lungusa.org. These will get you discounts to many attractions. The 2nd website is for a children's fun pass, which is sponsored by the American Lung Assoc. of SD. Both of these can be ordered on-line.

4. Re: Black Hills SD with Kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, August 29, 2009