We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfside Beach vs. Myrtle Beach

Which Surfside Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Surfside Beach vs. Myrtle Beach

Hi. I was looking into a little Myrtle Beach vacation in mid-to-late April, but I noticed that I could find cheaper hotels in Surfside Beach as opposed to Myrtle Beach, so now I'm considering that option.

I was wondering if I could get some people here to give me the scoop on these beaches, as far as nightlife and general attitude. Is one more family-oriented than the other, does one have more nightlife at one then the other? Are there live music venues? Is one very crowded and one less so? Is the distance between the two beaches walkable?

I do like people and nightlife and excitement, but I am not interested in a lot of sloppy frat-boy bars. I like dive bars and live music and am looking for something with a little of the feel of spring break without a total immersion in crazy drunken college kids.

Thanks.

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 28
1. Re: Surfside Beach vs. Myrtle Beach

The southern end of MB almost abuts Surfside, but along the beach you have a state park and campgrounds separating the two. It's a short drive but a long walk. Since you basically need a car to get around anyway, there's not a big difference between staying in either.

Surfside is very family friendly and more residential than MB. There are many more house and cottage rentals in Surfside, which appeals to large families. The main highway (Rt. 17) is further from the beach, and the area east of it is very residential. You can save money by renting 3-4 blocks back from the beach but it's still walkable and reasonably safe for kids. The town is smoke-free by ordinance, that also appeals to families. And, you won't have the beach crowds like you find when you stay in a large hotel.

While MB is certainly the nucleus of entertainment and nightlife, Surfside has varied restaurant and shopping choices and some nightlife, mostly along Rt. 17. Murrell's Inlet (for great dining and HH's with live music) is very convenient to Surfside.

By the latter half of April. I think the spring break crowd will be long gone, but watch out for those wild golfers, some of them ACT like college kids on spring break (OK Tony, let me have it now!).

Grafton...
reviews: 35
2. Re: Surfside Beach vs. Myrtle Beach

We love Surfside and would never stay in Myrtle after spending time here. Beaches are uncrowded and there are very few hotels. You can drive to Myrtle in about 10 minutes and like mentioned above, you need a car anyway so no issue. There are some cool restaurants. Bubbas fish shack has good food and you can literally go right from the beach. Love Surfside beach California Dreamin and The Bonefish grill for more upscale. Plenty of places to get grocerys etc.

Basically its the same as Myrtle without the crowds.

You may also consider North Myrtle which is busier but more upscale than Myrtle.

We are actually looking to purchase a place in Surfside we like it so much.

Enjoy :)

New York City, New...
3. Re: Surfside Beach vs. Myrtle Beach

Thanks, good people. I appreciate the input. Let me ask you all something else. One of the things I would like to avoid if possible is a lot of kids running around. I kind of wanted a little bit of quiet, but also convenient restaurants and/or bars. Is there anyplace in Myrtle Beach that fits this scenario at all?

It seems like all of the hotels on these beaches cater to families, but isn't there anyplace where there are more adults and less kids? I was sort of looking in on the area from about North 10th to the pier. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 40
4. Re: Surfside Beach vs. Myrtle Beach

MB is very much a family destination but since you are looking at April, most of the kids are in school, so it won't be quite as bad. We've gone twice in mid-to late April & it's a different crowd than summer. Golfers, couples, etc.

Look at Anderson Ocean Club. Although they welcome families, there aren't extensive kiddie pools, etc.

New York City, New...
5. Re: Surfside Beach vs. Myrtle Beach

Thanks. I'll check them out. If anyone else has any suggestions, please, feel free to contribute. Thanks again.

Heart of it all
Destination Expert
for Ohio
reviews: 13
6. Re: Surfside Beach vs. Myrtle Beach

Near Garden City & Surfside is Murrell's Inlet. Lots of great places to eat, drink, and listen to music.

7. Re: Surfside Beach vs. Myrtle Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 pm, August 29, 2012
Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 142
8. Re: Surfside Beach vs. Myrtle Beach

Don't let people tell you Surfside and MB are nearly the same they are not. If you want nightlife, entertainment,bars, etc then you should be in MB. As for resorts that are geared more for adults and are within walking distance to bars and restaurants you should look into The Anderson Club,however, since you are going in late April the number of families will be reduced and you will find a lot of golfers. Also look at Best western carolinian, dayton House and my favorie The Caribbean. These will also cover a wide price range.

Surfside Beach, SC
reviews: 1
9. Re: Surfside Beach vs. Myrtle Beach

Water Quality

Apr 18, 2013, 7:16 PM

Links with news on swash water quality. www.carolinalive.com/news/story.aspx… WPDE News Channel 15

DHEC investigates Surfside Beach swash contamination

by Kaila DeRienzo

Posted: 04.17.2013 at 6:56 PM

SURFSIDE BEACH -- The Department of Health and Environmental Control says some contamination from a Surfside Beach dog park is reaching the ocean, but is not causing any harm.

Debris from the Surfside Beach Bark Park flows into both Holly Lake and Myrtle Lake before eventually reaching the 5th Avenue North swash.

After complaints from two Surfside Beach residents who wish to remain anonymous, DHEC ran weekly tests on the swash's water between May and October 2012.

The levels of Enterococcus, which is a bacteria commonly found in fecal matter, failed DHEC standards on six out of 22 tests.

According to DHEC spokesman Jim Beasley, DHEC is working alongside the town of Surfside Beach to make sure water in the swash maintains safe levels of bacteria.

https:/…tmdl_10-303d.pdf See page 25 WAC31-A

http://www.epa.gov/neear/ Read: "Report on the 2009 National Epidemologic and Environmental Assessment of Recreational Water Epidemiology Studies (NEEAR): Boquerón Beach, Puerto Rico, and Surfside Beach, SC of the paper published in Environmental Health"

10. Re: Surfside Beach vs. Myrtle Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, August 10, 2014