We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inexpensive but clean motel/hotel Near Charleston

Which North Charleston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shelby, North...
reviews: 5
Inexpensive but clean motel/hotel Near Charleston

My husband and I are planning a quick last minute getaway next weekend. This will probably be our only chance this year so I figure we better take it while we can. Looking for an inexpensive place to stay. We really aren't picky as long as it is clean and bug free. Would prefer a pool Any family owned or inexpensive hotels in the surrounding area?

Also, what would be a good area to look in? I am seeing a lot of the less expensive chain hotels near the airport. How far is this from beaches, historic district etc? We will be driving

6 replies to this topic
Charleston, South...
reviews: 10
1. Re: Inexpensive but clean motel/hotel Near Charleston

Depends on what you want to be close to. Using I26, the airport is 30 minutes from the downtown historic district, except at rush hour or if there is a wreck.

The most convenient beach from the airport area is Isle of Palms.

Johns Island, South...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
2. Re: Inexpensive but clean motel/hotel Near Charleston

Please define "inexpensive" in $$$.

The hotels on Hwy 78 are all fairly new (Hampton, HI Express, Fairfield Inn, Wingate) and in a good area (much nicer than airport area) w/several restaurants close-by. Drive to the Historic District will be about 35-40 mins. (unless there is a wreck).

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
reviews: 19
3. Re: Inexpensive but clean motel/hotel Near Charleston

If you can find an affordable hotel in Mt. Pleasant, you would be much better off staying there. Traffic between N. Chas and downtown is brutal at certain times of day or if there is any type of fender bender (think over 1 hour). Mt. Pleasant is between historic downtown and the beaches of Sullivan's Island and Isle of Palms - so it puts you about 10-15 to either beach or downtown.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
reviews: 11
4. Re: Inexpensive but clean motel/hotel Near Charleston

And if it's really cheap you don't want to stay there.

Indiana
reviews: 84
5. Re: Inexpensive but clean motel/hotel Near Charleston

I have been looking for the same type of hotel rates and found a new Hexpress on Montague with a very good rate. It is somewhat further than what I wanted but we do what we have to. Mt Pleasant also had a new Hexpress that was a little more but also much better driving time and not as expensive as downtown. I hope this helps I have been days looking for similar deals.

Edited: 3:37 pm, August 14, 2012
Charleston, South...
6. Re: Inexpensive but clean motel/hotel Near Charleston

Thanks, GrannyCIndian!

If you would please post about your experience at the Hexpress on Montague, we locals can learn something to recommend or not.

Reply to: Inexpensive but clean motel/hotel Near Charleston
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted