We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crabbing

In cooperation with: Visit Myrtle Beach
Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Clarksville...
reviews: 26
Crabbing

Does anyone know how the crabbing has been lately? Also, where are the best spots to go crabbing in the Myrtle beach or Murrells Inlet area. We will be there next week and are hoping to get a good catch of blue crabs. Thanks.

4 replies to this topic
Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
reviews: 93
1. Re: Crabbing

I haven't been crabbing in quite awhile, but judging by the size and numbers of crabs that have been eating my fishing bait, I'd say they're healthy and in good numbers. Crabbing can be pretty good on the Veterans Pier at the end of Murrells Inlet Marshwalk. You'll have plenty of company there. There's also a small crabbing pier beside Hot Fish Club in Murrells Inlet. You can run out of water at both of these during low tides. There are two bridges over to Pawleys Island, and folks crab from both of those. I've also heard folks talk about good crabbing from the boardwalk going over to Garden City, but I've never tried it from there. Finally, there's a small beach at the end of the dirt road just north of Huntington Beach State Park. There's no pier at this location so you're crabbing from shore, but it's also a popular spot.

Clarksville...
reviews: 26
2. Re: Crabbing

Thanks a million! When you say that we will have plenty of company on the veterans pier, what time do you think the crowds start to form, 7ish?

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
reviews: 93
3. Re: Crabbing

Should not be busy that early. Depending on weather and tides, folks will start showing up late morning. Weekends are busier.

Myrtle Beach
reviews: 43
4. Re: Crabbing

Make sure to go at low tide. When the tide starts coming in - the crabs will get out of the mud and start to go to sea to feed. They will run for about 2 hours from that low point. Right now with the cold weather - I typically don't even go. I don't have much luck once the water temp goes below 70 degrees.

Reply to: Crabbing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted