We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Fishing Areas In MB and NMB? Inland and not at Sea.

In cooperation with: Visit Myrtle Beach
Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brampton, Canada
reviews: 32
Good Fishing Areas In MB and NMB? Inland and not at Sea.

Hi.

I've done a little research and see that you can rent kayaks from places at Murrells Inlet and Cherry Grove area. I would like to fish from kayak since I can't afford paying hundreds for a guide for only 2 of us.

Do you know if these two inlets are productive fishing spots for at least 1lb+ fish? Or know of any other nearby places that rent kayaks and has decent fishing?

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
reviews: 93
1. Re: Good Fishing Areas In MB and NMB? Inland and not at Sea.

Depending upon when you're going to be here, Murrells Inlet is a popular kayak fishing area, and very popular with fishermen, guides, etc. There are good sized fish and multiple species, if you know where to find them. I think the Cherry Grove/NMB area is similar, but I don't know those waters at all. If you are able to transport your rental kayak, there are a few other possibilities, but Murrells Inlet is a good choice to get on the water.

charleston, wv
reviews: 3
2. Re: Good Fishing Areas In MB and NMB? Inland and not at Sea.

Never rented kayaks but have dealt with the two most popular tours. On the south end Blackwater Tours run a pretty good operation. We did the short and quick Huntington Beach tour out in that marsh. They also do tours of some of the area creeks and rivers. At that time they were using Perception kayaks. Their ad mentions rentals. Maybe they could point you to good fishing spots.

North end is Cherry Grove. Large marsh in behind there with inlet to the north. High tide you can get way back into marsh and up into some creeks. Low tide pretty much limited to right up main channel. Our tour there was at low tide. Shallow water and nowhere to swim the fish were jumping all over. Lots of people out and about fishing but not sure if anybody was having any luck.

We booked with J L Tours up there. His site says kayak rentals. Pictures on his site show a variety of kayaks. For our tour he brought out sit on tops. Not positive but think they were Emotions. My first time on a sit on top and it wasn't bad at all. He knows the marsh and all the wildlife. I'm sure he could give some fishing pointers.

Bike Doctor in Cherry Grove rents kayaks but not sure how well they would work for fishing. Their boats are sit on top. More of an ocean kayak than a recreational style.

The Boulineaus run the local stores in Cherry Grove. They have fishing section in the IGA grocery store plus even larger section in their True Value store. Most mornings you'll see boat trailers in their lot before heading out for the day Might be good place to get some fishing info.

Brampton, Canada
reviews: 32
3. Re: Good Fishing Areas In MB and NMB? Inland and not at Sea.

Thanks for the all the info.

Pawleys Island SC
Destination Expert
for Pawleys Island, Murrells Inlet
reviews: 93
4. Re: Good Fishing Areas In MB and NMB? Inland and not at Sea.

Black River Outdoors is a good thought. They rent kayaks plus they have a kayak fishing guide on staff. Don't know his rates but he knows Murrells Inlet very well and real good chance he can put y'all on some fish. That may be a good compromise http://www.blackriveroutdoors.com/

Edited: 1:53 pm, September 11, 2013
5. Re: Good Fishing Areas In MB and NMB? Inland and not at Sea.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, September 13, 2014