We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BEWARE of Virginia speed traps!!! if driving...

In cooperation with: Visit Myrtle Beach
Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
reviews: 32
BEWARE of Virginia speed traps!!! if driving...

BE WARE!!! You have been warned! Got popped going 83 in a 70 in Emporia, VA.! (just going the same speed as everyone else! FORGEDDABOUDIT!) Yes, I do believe they target north east drivers cuz they know you're not gonna come back to go to court 2 months later!

Just GOOGLE VA speed traps! ANY speed clocked either 20 miles over the speed limit OR over 80 mph is considered RECKLESS DRIVING in Virginia!

When I got home, Most of my mail was from local VA attorneys offering to appear in CT on my behalf for a flat fee of $150, plus ticket cost and court fees.

AND, they don't give you a ticket OR tell you how much it would be if you just pay, oh no, you have to sign a promise to appear in court on a specific date, and if you don't you're found "guilty in absentia" If you call the court, they will tell you you can send X amount of $$$, but it is an Automatic GUILTY plea to what is a Criminal Misdemeanor in the fine State of Virginia Y'all.

SO, set your car on cruise control thru VA to no higher than 9 miles over the speed limit and you should be okay!!!

This has been a TA Public Service Announcement!

105 replies to this topic
Raleigh, North...
reviews: 17
1. Re: BEWARE of Virginia speed traps!!! if driving...

Yeah, my wife got popped in that same area many years ago. They hide in the wooded cutouts between the north and southbound lanes of I-85 and you really don't know for sure which vehicle they actually clocked. Red flag #1 was when the trooper suggested she have the speedometer in her vehicle checked because "that make and model is notorious for being inaccurate." Red flag #2 was the mailbox full of letters from attorneys. I hate it for you. Had something similar happen to me on SC-9 two years ago as well. The irony? my car was still sporting Massachusetts tags too!

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 30
2. Re: BEWARE of Virginia speed traps!!! if driving...

Count me in also.Got one 2 or 3 yrs ago on I 95 in the southern part of Virginia.Hid in the wooded cut outs like previous poster said. Its good to warn TA users every year.

Kentucky
reviews: 2
3. Re: BEWARE of Virginia speed traps!!! if driving...

I got one in Morristown, TN a few years ago heading to MB. It was one of the speed cameras set up at an intersection. The limit dropped to 45 shortly before that area and I got a ticket for going 52. No way would I have been pulled over by an actual policeman at that speed. Revenue generator for sure. Ticket was waiting in mail when I got home from beach. Thanks for warning others about the problem in Virginia. I knew of the cameras in TN and didn't think they would write one for just a few mph over. Figured it was a safe speed and everything would be okay.

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 7
4. Re: BEWARE of Virginia speed traps!!! if driving...

They got me also....2 years in Wytheville:( After it was all said and done it cost around 1000 dollars! We fly now.. Lol

North Carolina
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
reviews: 30
5. Re: BEWARE of Virginia speed traps!!! if driving...

You're driving 83 mph in a 70 mph zone, and you're complaining because you got a ticket? Seriously???

Atlanta
6. Re: BEWARE of Virginia speed traps!!! if driving...

Why not go the speed limit?

Rock Hill
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 39
7. Re: BEWARE of Virginia speed traps!!! if driving...

Also in McBee, SC if you come through there. They warn your though with huge signs before you get there so if you speed through it you really deserve it. It is a about a 2 mile stretch.

Charleston, South...
reviews: 11
8. Re: BEWARE of Virginia speed traps!!! if driving...

A sensible rule of thumb when driving anywhere is that they give you 5 mph, and you can take another 5. Anything more than 10 mph above the posted speed limit is dangerous, wherever you are. Setting your cruise control at 9 mph above the limit could save your life.

Boston...
reviews: 32
9. Re: BEWARE of Virginia speed traps!!! if driving...

Exactly Mike! This is a Warning, not Complaining...

Brookneal, Virginia
reviews: 70
10. Re: BEWARE of Virginia speed traps!!! if driving...

"Got popped going 83 in a 70 in Emporia, VA.!"

*shrugs shoulders*

And I am *sure* that their radar machines are set to only pick up data on the speeding cars with northeast license plates (sarcasm).

y'all are funny~

Wasn't 70 mph fast enough for you?

Why not just take responsibility for your own actions instead of blaming others for your speeding?

I won't comment on shady lawyers contacting you,

but why not just take the automatic guilty plea and *pay* for the ticket, I mean, since you *are guilty* and admitted it here on TA for the whole world to see?

Of course, you *could* come back for the court date and have the pleasure of being found guilty in person, but I'd say the smarter and less expensive option is to simply be accountable for your actions and learn your lesson and simply send the court clerk your check.

#common sense isn't common anymore #condemned by his own words

Reply to: BEWARE of Virginia speed traps!!! if driving...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted