We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Duffer Friendly" golf courses?

In cooperation with: Visit Myrtle Beach
Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Raleigh, North...
reviews: 17
"Duffer Friendly" golf courses?

Coming down in mid-May and looking at golf options. So far, most of the courses I have reviewed all use words like "challenging" "difficult" and "tricky." This is a severe problem for me as I am quite frankly not that good. Is there any place that could be described as "easy"?

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 30
1. Re: "Duffer Friendly" golf courses?

Let me start out by saying that if your a high handicapper it does not mean that you have to play slow.Just dont spend a lot of time looking for lost balls and if you get in a tough sand trap after one or two tries use your five finger wedge.

Some courses that are friendly are

Myrtle Beach National( West Course) - No housing,minimal water and nothing punishing about the layout.

Wizzard - Water only on first hole and final 3 holes. Wide fairways and housing on only two holes

Man O War - Very deceiving layout, while there is water on about 16 holes the fairways are large and so are the landing areas over the water.Easy to find your ball in the tree line as it is cleared out under the trees.Housing on only 3 holes.So to sum it up you will have some shots over water but to large targets.

Annapolis, MD
reviews: 16
2. Re: "Duffer Friendly" golf courses?

Just want to accentuate:

---> if your a high handicapper it does not mean that you have to play slow.Just dont spend a lot of time looking for lost balls and if you get in a tough sand trap after one or two tries use your five finger wedge.

No one cares how good/bad you play, but everyone cares about your pace of play....

If you are up north, consider Meadowlands. There is a lot of water, but for the most part the fairways are wide and the greens large. It was rated in the Top 100 courses for Women... no offense to the ladies, but assume this means it is on the easier side ?

http://www.meadowlandsgolf.com/

Let us know how it goes !

Toronto
reviews: 9
3. Re: "Duffer Friendly" golf courses?

Carolina Shores and the Valley at Eastport are two less busy and cheaper courses in the north end, neither particularly difficult.

Raleigh, North...
4. Re: "Duffer Friendly" golf courses?

Thanks for the input everybody. I will take a closer look at what you've suggested, except maybe Man O War, as water isn't exactly my friend. My short game is respectable, sometimes even good but I will definitely need the wider fairways! Has anyone done the Ritson-Sole school? Was reading about the one day swing analysis program and thinking it couldn't hurt...

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 184
5. Re: "Duffer Friendly" golf courses?

Take a look at Waterway Hills & Myrtlewood

Hudson
6. Re: "Duffer Friendly" golf courses?

Be sure to check the Sun News sports page for coupons once you select a course.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 30
7. Re: "Duffer Friendly" golf courses?

Note on Myrtlewoods. They are two of my favorites to play on and their lenght is on the shorter side and they are forgiving on many tee shots.But on the Pine Hills Course you will find at least 9 to 10 holes with water and 3 of the Par 3's are shots over water although not particularly long.

The Palmetto Course has 8 or 9 holes with water and also 3 of the par 3's must be hit over water.

Wizzard has only 1 par3 over water. And as I stated before landing areas at Man O War are large.Trick is to know your limits. If you need to carry more than 150 yds over water and you are a self proclaimed duffer, then lay-up to where you have around a 100 yd. carry over.

Valley at Eastport is a very short course and is also a good option as someone stated.

Waterway hills plays with some difficulty. First hole on the Waterway 9 is as an intimadating hole to start with as there is in all of Myrtle.Many of the Par 3's play long or over water and a number of the tree lines are not cleared out well.

Just my opinion, but would not choose Carolina Shores.Too much housing and not a very good layout.

On a par 3 over water that plays 140 yds or more don't be embarassed to go to the senior tee which might be 15 to 20 yds shorter. There is nothing that says if your playing white tees and the tee shot is too demanding for your personal game that you can't move up on certain holes.

Raleigh, North...
8. Re: "Duffer Friendly" golf courses?

Looking at Myrtlewoods very heavily right now, I may try to do both courses depending on timing... Reviews all seem to be favorable for both courses. Man O' War looks both a little scary but tempting all at the same time so I can't rule that one out either. Fortunately I have just under two months to hit the range and get in some tune up rounds as well!

Pittsburgh, PA
reviews: 11
9. Re: "Duffer Friendly" golf courses?

Pine lakes was great and my buddy whose first year golfing played to pace and really enjoyed the course. Plus the nostalgia of being the first course and where sports illustrated was formed.

10. Re: "Duffer Friendly" golf courses?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 27, 2014