We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How does MB compare to Wildwood, NJ

In cooperation with: Visit Myrtle Beach
Which Myrtle Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
the nest
How does MB compare to Wildwood, NJ

Thanks

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
reviews: 75
1. Re: How does MB compare to Wildwood, NJ

Wildwood is a "blast from the past" as beach towns go. The town is best known (among New Jerseyans) for its boardwalk and amusement rides/games, which have provided entertainment for teenagers and bachelor/bachelorette groups as well as families for decades.

The beach at Wildwood is very good for Jersey Shore, but nowhere near so nice, clean, and warm as Myrtle Beach. In Wildwood you will be limited to smaller hotel/motels, which are often a family-owned and run, or to small, older vacation rental homes. For choice of up-to-date accommodations, I would choose Myrtle Beach.

On the whole, I would say that Wildwood is nice for a day or two if you are in the area. As a destination for an extended beach vacation, Myrtle Beach is better.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
2. Re: How does MB compare to Wildwood, NJ

Here is a good website for Wildwood - http://www.wildwoodsnj.com/

Naturally, the area is trying to present itself in the best possible light ... but you get an idea of the fun (often funky) atmosphere.

the nest
3. Re: How does MB compare to Wildwood, NJ

thanks, that is the feeling i was getting from read reviews.

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 159
4. Re: How does MB compare to Wildwood, NJ

You can't compare the accomodations or attractions. MB is much better in these catergories.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 70
5. Re: How does MB compare to Wildwood, NJ

The closest thing to Wildwood on the south Atlantic is Jekyll Island GA, near Savannah.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
6. Re: How does MB compare to Wildwood, NJ

Steve - I was surprised by your post. While there are some areas on the Jersey Shore that might be comparable to Jekyll in age and ambiance, Wildwood is not one of them (IMO). What am I missing???

Athens, Alabama
reviews: 312
7. Re: How does MB compare to Wildwood, NJ

I agree with Wildwood being good for a couple of days but not for a full week. Myrtle Beach has much more to do, more nice restaurants, a nicer beach and much nicer accommodations than Wildwood.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 30
8. Re: How does MB compare to Wildwood, NJ

About 15 years ago I said to my wife " lets try Myrtle Beach instead of Wildwood,if you and the kids don't like it we will return to Wildwood". Been going to Myrtle Beach ever since.

Ohrid, Republic of...
reviews: 1
9. Re: How does MB compare to Wildwood, NJ

It depends on who is in your group. I have 2 teenagers. We spent 2 weeks in wildwood last year and had a blast. We got season passes to piers and could have easily stayed another week.

The deal with doing MB next summer for a week is that we also do a week in Wildwood and this year the kids are bringing friends to wildwood.

Now if it was just dh and I or our kids were younger MB would be a definite 2b week stay and we never would do a full week in wildwood.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 30
10. Re: How does MB compare to Wildwood, NJ

Funny thing about Wildwood is that the beaches are actually too large.Its about a 200 yard walk down to the water.

The only thing I would give Wildwood over Myrtle is they have more exciting rides,roller coasters etc. But they can be very costly.I actually hated the Wildwood boardwalk. There is also Cape May which is only a few miles away and a unique Victorian town.

Myrtle Beach has more ,better and cheaper golf.Some very good theater shows like the Alabama Theater,Carolina Oprey,Pirates Voyage etc. More restaurants to choose from.Much better hotels with amenities such as lazy rivers,water parks,indoor pools etc. The best mini golf in the world.Day trips to plantations and Charleston.Broadway At The Beach,Barefoot Landing,Marshwalk at Murrells Inlet and Alligator Adventure are a few of the attractions.

So even thou I live in N.J. I am willing to take the longer drive to Myrtle.Would recommend staying no less than a week in Myrtle to make up for the long drive.