We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Wine Storage in Mt P or Charleston

Which Mount Pleasant hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
reviews: 49
Need Wine Storage in Mt P or Charleston

I'm moving to Charleston in a few weeks and was laughed at in a wine shop when I asked where I could rent a temperature controlled wine locker for my collection. Nobody there had any idea what I was talking about --though they are quite common in the Seattle area (hey, this is Wine Country!). Is there wine storage for rent for a 350 bottle collection of fine wines in the Charleston/Mt. Pleasant area? Help! :-)

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
reviews: 23
1. Re: Need Wine Storage in Mt P or Charleston

Sorry, I am not aware of such a thing in this area. My in laws had a wine cellar built behind their house to keep their wine. I have contacted another DE for this area to see if she knows of anything... hopefully, she will chime in.

Charleston, SC
reviews: 55
2. Re: Need Wine Storage in Mt P or Charleston

Well the good news is that due to our climate, it is not hard to find "climate-controlled" storage units. Are they specifically for renting to wine people? No. The people I know who have that much fine wine have done such things as building wine rooms or purchasing one or more large wine refrigerators. There are local companies and contractors who will do that in your new house - you can p.m. me for more info.

What I'd recommend is that you keep the wine in the storage facility and have them ship it to your home once you have your new place with wine storage built in. Do NOT ship the wine during the summertime (June through late Sept) unless you use a refrigerated shipper. (We had dozens of cases of wine shipped with our furniture but we moved here during a cool November ) It will not be inexpensive! Trust me. Maybe when you move here you'll see why there aren't specific facilities for this; we don't have wineries that would use them and most oenophiles have their homes equipped to store all the wine they want to store. Certainly helps with spontaneity.

Lastly, our smaller wine shops can get you most of your favorite wines and they don't upcharge for special orders since they don't have to carry it on their shelves. Just make sure that if you love a wine that is winery purchase only that you get it while you're still in Washington. Welcome to Charleston!

Fayetteville...
Destination Expert
for Seabrook Island
reviews: 2
3. Re: Need Wine Storage in Mt P or Charleston

I'm not sure how the OP is shipping his wine e.g. moving company, "mailing" service. Here's a *warning*--a friend of mine visited Napa last fall. She purchased and had ship to her cases of wine. She found a "Brown" shipping store in CA. She was unaware that this was an independent shipping store not a company owned "Big Brown" store.

Long story short--the store went out of business after shipping her wine. Her wine was "destroyed" in route to her by Brown. Because the shipping store she used was not a company store, Brown was not going to reimburse her despite her paying for the insurance. She took her story to Facebook and finally after several weeks, Brown covered the cost of the lost wine.

Her moral of the story--don't use Brown. Well, next time I believe she will accompany her wine:-) She really wanted that wine!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
reviews: 23
4. Re: Need Wine Storage in Mt P or Charleston

"Climate controlled storage" in this area means a storage unit that is heated and air conditioned in order to avoid extremes of temperature and humidity. So basically, it is like the inside of your house and thus certainly not ideal conditions for wine. :-(

Charleston, SC
reviews: 55
5. Re: Need Wine Storage in Mt P or Charleston

Yes, as endo said, climate controlled means that they just keep the mildew from forming in summer.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
reviews: 11
6. Re: Need Wine Storage in Mt P or Charleston

The only time I've ever even seen climate controlled wine storage was when we were passing through the Lake Norman area in NC, just north of Charlotte. I looked to see if there is anything like it in Charleston and came up w/this (I don't know anything about it, just found it on the internet)...

https:/…1019085

If I owned that kind of a collection, I'd want it in my house, not a place that I rented somewhere.

Edited: 9:09 pm, February 14, 2012
7. Re: Need Wine Storage in Mt P or Charleston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 pm, June 23, 2012
8. Re: Need Wine Storage in Mt P or Charleston

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 pm, November 13, 2012
glenmoore
9. Re: Need Wine Storage in Mt P or Charleston

Were you ever able to find storage in Charleston? We have built a second home in Charleston on a piece of land that was conserved and I was only allowed 3000 sq feet of living space. I'm looking to store some 3-4000 bottles. If I can't find one I must just build one and maybe start another business. Let me know Thanks, Ted Swinnerton

10. Re: Need Wine Storage in Mt P or Charleston

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, October 12, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Mount Pleasant