We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just booked a family trip to Kiawah. A couple questions

Which Kiawah Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
reviews: 1
Just booked a family trip to Kiawah. A couple questions

We have just booked a family vacation to Kiawah. There will be nine of us with five grandchildren ages 6, 7, 13, 16, 18. We will be doing a lot of eating at the home we rented to save money. Anyone have entertainment ideas that are not too expensive would really help us. Where is the best place to rent bikes? Are any of the things that go on at Heron Park reasonably priced? Is there a grocery store that we can get all our supplies. We got a place 5 minutes from the beach and right on the lagoon. My little grandson likes to fish. Where would he go for that and would he have to have a license? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Janleslie

12 replies to this topic
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
reviews: 11
1. Re: Just booked a family trip to Kiawah. A couple questions

Your best bet for shopping is Costco, just after you exit 526, as you approach Savannah Hwy, or Publix at the intersection of Savannah Hwy and Main Rd. (17 miles from Kiawah). Freshfields is 2 miles from the gate of Kiawah, but I consider the grocery more like a big convenience store.

We also have Rosebank Farms that is just off island for veggies and there is a new Farmers Market on Maybank Hwy on Saturdays that has all sorts of local goodies.

Take a drive to Cherry Point Landing in Rockville for your fresh shrimp, right off the boat.

Assuming you are talking summer vacation, there are plenty of free, outdoor, evening activities for the entire family. There is music at Night Heron Park, Bohicket Marina and Freshfields, throughout the week.

There is a Wednesday outdoor movie at Freshfields.

There is a Monday Farmer's Market at Freshfields (get the idea that there are lots of activities at Freshfields???).

You can rent bikes for the week from Island Bike. They are off island, but will deliver to your house and have your bikes waiting when you get there. They are who we use to maintain our bikes and we have purchased several used bikes from them, as well.

There is fishing, but you might look at the Town of Kiawah Island website to find out the ifs, ands or buts...

http://www.kiawahisland.org/recreation

Kiawah is filled with lagoons (ponds, really), so it's a guess where you may be staying. Are you near Night Heron Park???

Edited: 9:44 pm, February 11, 2014
Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
reviews: 75
2. Re: Just booked a family trip to Kiawah. A couple questions

We have alligators in all inland ponds and lagoons. Don't let your little grandson wander too near the edges of ponds or fish from the side of a pond. Fish only from designated structures - decks, bridges, etc. - that keep you well raised; and never reach into the water to retrieve your line.

Edited: 8:40 am, February 12, 2014
Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
3. Re: Just booked a family trip to Kiawah. A couple questions

The Harris Teeter grocery store at nearby Freshfields is convenient and prices are fairly reasonable. Don't worry if you can't load up with everything before arriving on island.

Pittsburgh...
4. Re: Just booked a family trip to Kiawah. A couple questions

Thanks so much for all the information. We booked a house at 404 Amaranth Rd but I don't know where that is. We are supposedly a five minute walk to beach. I wish I knew more about where it is located as compared to other things but I don't. This is a trip with my whole family before my 18 year old granddaughter goes off the college. Money is tight for my daughters family so grandma and grandpa are paying. The paper I have on my rental says Johns Island which really confused me because it is Kiawah Island??? We are going May 17th to the 24th.

Thanks so Much for your help!

janleslie

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
5. Re: Just booked a family trip to Kiawah. A couple questions

Yes, Amaranth is a lovely near-beach location on Kiawah Island.

Kiawah Island's postal zone is Johns Island, so sometimes our addresses appear as Johns Island. Very confusing!

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
6. Re: Just booked a family trip to Kiawah. A couple questions

Amaranth is a good street, is close to the beach. Here's a map, make sure you click on "Labels"...

http://www.kiawahresort.com/interactive-map

Find the Sanctuary, on the ocean, to the left of center of the island. Look to the left, find Oceanwoods Homes, look a little farther to the left, second street behind Eugenia, you'll find Amaranth.

There are indeed gators in the pond behind the house (was over there to a party recently).

Pittsburgh...
7. Re: Just booked a family trip to Kiawah. A couple questions

Thanks for the location. I am a little amazed at the location. This property was extremely reasonable and the pictures look great. I keep trying to figure out why is was way cheaper then so many of the properties we looked at. Everyone that stayed there gave it 5 stars so it must be pretty good. I guess we were just lucky. We just looked into bike rental. The bicycle shop is quoting 29.95 a week. The bicycle and surf shop price is 34.95 but akers real estate (where we are renting from) says we will get a discount if we go to bicycle and surf shop. I wonder if the discount will be enough to make it worth while dealing with them. Will need 9 bikes.

janleslie

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
8. Re: Just booked a family trip to Kiawah. A couple questions

We have always had great bikes and great service from Island Bike and Surf; however, I'm sure that any bike rental company on Kiawah will be fine. At which bicycle shop did you find the lower rate??

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
9. Re: Just booked a family trip to Kiawah. A couple questions

Give the people at Island Bike a call and see what they say, they are good people to deal with (I'm guessing they have the higher price from what you described).

Looks like you really scored w/that house!

Pittsburgh...
10. Re: Just booked a family trip to Kiawah. A couple questions

We found the best price at Carolina bike and beach for 29.95 for a week. Island bike and surf was the one recommended by our real estate agency and they are 34.95 per bike but are supposed the offer a discount if you tell them the agency you are renting from.

Reply to: Just booked a family trip to Kiawah. A couple questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kiawah Island