We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay on Kiawah Island?

Which Kiawah Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Demotte, Indiana
Where to stay on Kiawah Island?

Hello fellow travelers,

We are a family of four with two teenage boys. We are planning to visit Kiawah Island in mid June for one week. We are looking to stay in a villa or condo. We would like a 2 bedroon, near the beach with a porch. An ocean or water (lagoon) view would be great, but not required. We would like to keep the cost under $2000 for the week. Any ideas on where to stay? How is the west end compared to the east end? I have been looking at Shipwatch villas and the Greenslake cottages.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, as I have never visited this area.

Thanks!!

Jen

7 replies to this topic
Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
reviews: 75
1. Re: Where to stay on Kiawah Island?

The East/West divide is artificial, as its all the same beach; however, most East Beach Villas will be closer to The Sanctuary Hotel than most West Beach Villas.

"Lagoon view" on Kiawah can refer to anything from a partial view of a small, wooded creek to an expansive view over a large pond or lake. You might want to consider a two- or three-bedroom Parkside condo with south-facing view over gorgeous Night Heron Pond. On Night Heron Pond, you will observe wading birds, water birds, turtles, and alligators. Sunrise over the pond is spectacular. If you can find a three-bedroom, pond view, Parkside within your budget, that unit will have a screened porch overlooking the pond as well as a dock and sun deck on the pond. NB: If renting in Parkside, you will need to rent a resort-managed home if you want access to the large resort-owned swimming pools at adjacent Night Heron Park.

For a really spectacular water view, also take a look at three-bedroom Inlet Cove cottages with views over the Kiawah River and marsh. Inlet Cove has its own magnificent community swimming pool, with deck and dock on the Kiawah River.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
2. Re: Where to stay on Kiawah Island?

I apologize that I did not address your budget, because I really know nothing about 2014 rental rates in mid-June. Mid-June is on the cusp between shoulder season and high season. If you can be a bit flexible about interior appointments and/or about dates, you might find some "wiggle room". In general, newly renovated cottages with designer décor will be most expensive; however, I've always thought that the view and the overall ambiance of the location are most important on Kiawah.

Johns Island, South...
Destination Expert
reviews: 10
3. Re: Where to stay on Kiawah Island?

Shipwatch is one of only two condo buildings on the island, whereas, Greenslake would be your own freestanding cottage...knowing this might help you make a decision, both are in the same general area.

Shipwatch is going to be closer to the beach, Greenslake will have a little walk.

Both areas are West Beach, which is right at the "front" of the island, about 1 1/2-2 miles from Night Heron Park and about 2 1/2 miles from Freshfields.

You you find something in your price range, you better grab it soon!!!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
4. Re: Where to stay on Kiawah Island?

As you've noticed, most free-standing cottages on Kiawah have three bedrooms. Greenslake is the only cottage community I know of offering two-bedrooms. Greenslake also has access to the Sparrow Pond swimming pool, which is a nice perk. If you expand your search to three-bedroom units, also look at Oceanwoods. Oceanwoods does not have a community swimming pool, but it is very close to the beach ...MUCH closer than Greenslake.

Also, doing a search of property manager listings for two-bedroom units, I turned up one unusual listing in the two-bedroom category:

Beachwalker Rentals has a Parkside villa, on Night Heron Pond, which they are renting as a two-bedroom. Though I know nothing about the unit other than what I see in the ad, it appears that the villa is actually one of the three-bedroom villas, with both a screened porch and a dock/deck on the pond. (Perhaps the owner is locking off one of three bedrooms for storage??) Note that this unit does NOT include use of the resort swimming pools. If you don't care about the pool, but would enjoy the dock and view, it's worth a look: http://www.beachwalker.com/Unit/Details/74226

Edited: 10:31 am, February 09, 2014
Johns Island, South...
Destination Expert
reviews: 10
5. Re: Where to stay on Kiawah Island?

Villa, the one you posted isn't a bad deal and is available June 14.

There are a few 2 bedroom Oceanwoods Homes, and it's one of the best locations for the beach. Start by looking at VRBO.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
6. Re: Where to stay on Kiawah Island?

The base rental rate is in budget. Tax (12.5%) is additional. Not sure what other fees, if any, might apply.

Some property managers add "damages insurance" to their contracts; however, I believe you would have the right to decline insurance.

Quincy, Illinois
7. Re: Where to stay on Kiawah Island?

We have visited Kiawah several times and stayed at Parkside, Windswept Townhouse with 3 bedroom, Tennis Club and TurtlePoint locations. We will be traveling there again in late May, 2014.

The Parkside locations along the lagoon are great, and not too far from the beach & close to park for your kids. They offer 2 and 3 bedroom locations with a deck, with screened porches too. Some Parkside locations have a dock & deck, which means and plenty of sun & views to watch for Al the alligator.

Some TurtlePoint locations have golf course views and others have lagoon views. Maybe a little bit further from the beach, but great location as well. TurtlePoint would be a little further from the park for your boys. Plenty of beach access, no matter where you stay.

Kiawah Island is a wonderful place and really I don't think you can go wrong with any rental location. Each location offers something unique.

Make sure you rent bikes for your week. This is a perfect way to see the island. Enjoy

Reply to: Where to stay on Kiawah Island?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kiawah Island