We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to decide between 2 houses--first time on Kiawh

Which Kiawah Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
reviews: 17
Trying to decide between 2 houses--first time on Kiawh

This will be our first trip to Kiawah. We are a family of 5--two grown kids and a teenager. We're planning on the first week of August and want to rent a house. We're looking at 8 Turtle Beach Lane (Pam Harrington property) and 6 Turtle Beach Lane (vbro 54918.) Both look great but I'd love the opinion of one one who knows the area. Sometimes pictures don't tell the whole story. Also there may be a home between the properties under construction.

We could also rent a villa/condo thru the resort or about the same price but we don't golf and really just want to enjoy the beach and area.

Any advice would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

17 replies to this topic
Johns Island, South...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
reviews: 10
1. Re: Trying to decide between 2 houses--first time on Kiawh

Both houses are close to the beach and in close proximity to the Turtle Beach pool. I'd guess the choice is simply your preference in decor, etc.

What is it that you are concerned about?

I looked at both, personally, I'd choose the VRBO house, it's got a lot more attention to detail in the decorating.

Los Angeles
2. Re: Trying to decide between 2 houses--first time on Kiawh

I just thought someone might have some first hand knowledge of the properties. It seems like such a small community that someone on this board might know.

My concerns are:

Pam Harrington's house has a path to the beach right next to it. Will that be very crowded?

Is there constriction going on next door--a new house?

I understand there are a lot of palmetto bugs--would it be safer to go thru a rental agency that sprays maybe more regularly?

Is one house more "dated" than the other?

Do the shrubs in front of 8 Turtle Beach Lane obscure the beach view? Do they attract more bugs?

Has anyone dealt with Pam Harrington?

Sorry--nervous. First time in the south. We're taking both our grown kids and teenager, which is no easy feat!

Thanks so much! This board is the best!

Johns Island, South...
Destination Expert
3. Re: Trying to decide between 2 houses--first time on Kiawh

Kiawah is never "crowded".

Guess I could go look and see if there is constriction next door...really want me to???

Palmetto bugs are a way of life in any coastal community, that's all over the world. Most homeowners on the island have regularly, scheduled sprays.

I thought the VRBO house looked nicer.

Shrubs don't attract bugs...don't know if they obscure the view, have no way to find out.

Pam Harrington is a reputable person, lives on the island, has been around for 30 years or more.

Kiawah is a piece of cake, compared to other beach communities. You won't find anything else like this in the US.

Relax and enjoy!

Boothwyn...
reviews: 12
4. Re: Trying to decide between 2 houses--first time on Kiawh

I can't tell you which house is better, but they are in a lovely area. We have been vacationing in Kiawah for 20+ years - have rented thru the resort and with Pam Harrington and have never had a bad experience. Two years ago we finally bought property through Pam's agency.

Johns Island, South...
Destination Expert
5. Re: Trying to decide between 2 houses--first time on Kiawh

Hey dmd: went and drove by the houses today...there's no empty lot, don't know where that came from. There is a renovation going on at 10 Turtle Lane, but that should have no effect on either of the houses you are considering (and may be complete before you get here).

There are plenty of beach access points on Kiawah, so the boardwalks are not overcrowded. This neighborhood is sort of secluded at the end of a dead end street, very nice w/lagoon views from the front of the houses.

Both houses are elevated (as required by building codes), so your views should be magnificent from either...I still think the VRBO has more attention to detail.

My parents first rented through Pam Harrington 30 years ago, while their house was being built in Charleston. Hubby and I now live on the island and PH still has a thriving and reputable agency.

Edited: 6:40 pm, January 11, 2014
Los Angeles
6. Re: Trying to decide between 2 houses--first time on Kiawh

Thank you so so much. That was so nice of you.

The areal view showed a vacant lot--the houses would be right next to each other. My husband google earthed it and suddenly there was a house between the two I'm deciding on! Sometimes areal shots lag behind in time. I called Pam Harrington's office and the agent said they were building a house on the vacant lot. Does it look pretty complete?

I agree the vbro looks like it's furnishings/decor are nicer. But it looks like the downstairs views are living room and master bedroom downstairs on the vbro. The Pam Harrington house looks like it has a huge master and bath upstairs and the bottom floor is all living room kitchen and dining room. It looks like a better lay out. Also the agent on Pam Harrington's house said the owners were doing work on the living room--the kitchen looks better too, I think.

Did both houses look like they were in good shape? Did one look more "kept up?" It looks like there are a lot of shrubs in front of Pam Harringon's and a clearer view on the vbro. Could you tell?

Again, that was really great of you to drive by those houses. Thank you! And thanks for responding to my Charleston hotel question!

Johns Island, South...
Destination Expert
7. Re: Trying to decide between 2 houses--first time on Kiawh

The houses are all kept up on Kiawah. There are lots of shrubs everywhere, it's required.

There is no vacant lot, see above, don't know what the agent is talking about.

Johns Island, South...
Destination Expert
8. Re: Trying to decide between 2 houses--first time on Kiawh

Just looked at Google Earth, don't know what you are seeing, but there are no empty lots on that street, we didn't see any during our drive-by either.

Los Angeles
9. Re: Trying to decide between 2 houses--first time on Kiawh

Google Earth showed a house. The area map showed an empty lot, which I'm assuming is older. The agent said there was construction--someone was putting up a house, but on Google Earth it looks pretty complete.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
reviews: 75
10. Re: Trying to decide between 2 houses--first time on Kiawh

The houses on Turtle Beach Lane were built in the early 1990s, so are now twenty years old. Many have undergone extensive renovations, requiring lots of construction activity; however, I have not seen a vacant lot or a 100% new build on Turtle Beach Lane for many, many years.

All of the Turtle Beach Lane homes will be well kept on the exterior. All belong to professionally managed HOA (Enclave at Turtle Beach), which attends to common areas and requires homeowner compliance with exterior maintenance and decoration standards.

Reply to: Trying to decide between 2 houses--first time on Kiawh
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kiawah Island