We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good stopping point between Washington DC and Kiawah?

Which Kiawah Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Good stopping point between Washington DC and Kiawah?

We will be driving down to Kiawah with our two children in July. Because our children are so young (toddler and infant), driving straight there is out of the question. Does anyone have any good midway stopping point suggestions? According to Google maps, the mid-way point should be somewhere in North Carolina.

Also, google maps says it should take us 9 hours - but a friend says it will be more like 12. Has anyone done the DC-Kiawah drive who could tell me what the real drive time should be?

Thank you and happy new year!

3 replies to this topic
Johns Island, South...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
reviews: 10
1. Re: Good stopping point between Washington DC and Kiawah?

Google maps is correct, 8-9 hours should put you on Kiawah. We can drive from Kiawah to NYC in 12 hrs.

I'd think somewhere around Fayetteville, NC might work for you. You'd then be about 4.5-5 hrs. from Kiawah.

Edited: 12:47 pm, January 06, 2014
Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
reviews: 75
2. Re: Good stopping point between Washington DC and Kiawah?

The drive takes me nine to ten hours, depending on time of day and traffic from DC to Richmond. You may need more time, as you will probably make more stops.

Sorry I can't help with stops in North Carolina. If you can push through on your first day, Santee SC is a very nice place on Lake Marion.

Washington DC...
3. Re: Good stopping point between Washington DC and Kiawah?

Thank you villa and beth for your, as always, helpful responses!!

Reply to: Good stopping point between Washington DC and Kiawah?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kiawah Island