We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visitor - East Beach Questions

Which Kiawah Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
First time visitor - East Beach Questions

Hi all:

I'm planning my first trip to Kiawah for July 2014. After reading reviews on this forum, I've decided to stay at East Beach. I've seen a lot of recommendations for the Night Heron Cottages for those with children - but I have also seen good reviews of Mariners and Windswept. I will have a one month old infant and a two-year old (plus a mother-in-law, thank goodness). Looking for easy access to the beach and kid-friendly pools. Which community would y'all recommend I rent in?

Thank you!! (And happy new year!)

Libbet

4 replies to this topic
Johns Island, South...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
reviews: 10
1. Re: First time visitor - East Beach Questions

Mariner's Watch and Windswept are both closer to the beach than the Night Heron Cottages, but not by much. The Cottages are a short bike ride away (hope you are renting bikes, you can rent w/the seat on the back for the two year old and one of those little carriers that are pulled behind for the baby, don't know if that's too young or not).

Night Heron Park, where the pools are, is convenient to all the locations you've mentioned.

MW and W are elevated, multi-level buildings, whereas the Cottages are elevated, but the entire unit is on one floor. Don't know if this makes a difference to you or not.

Washington DC...
2. Re: First time visitor - East Beach Questions

Thank you Kiawahbeth!! That is very helpful! A follow-up question: I've seen a lot of rental listings mention beach toys, etc but not umbrellas. If we are walking or biking to the beach I imagine it would be difficult to carry one with us, but perhaps there are other options (rental at the beach?) that I'm not familiar with?

Johns Island, South...
Destination Expert
reviews: 10
3. Re: First time visitor - East Beach Questions

If you are renting through the Resort, you can rent chairs and umbrellas from them.

Occasionally there might be a last rental on the beach, but they are not set up for that in general, mostly advance reservations.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
reviews: 75
4. Re: First time visitor - East Beach Questions

Beach umbrella rentals are also available from these folks - http://www.islandbeachservices.com/

Reply to: First time visitor - East Beach Questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kiawah Island