We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay on Kiawah Island

Which Kiawah Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
reviews: 1
Best area to stay on Kiawah Island

My husband and I have never been to Kiawah. Would like to go in May with three teenage granddaughters. Is there a particular area that is more convenient to activities and of course, closeness to the ocean. Also how does Kiawah compare to Ocracoke Island, Ocean Isle and Myrtle Beach? Thanks for any advice!

Janleslie

2 replies to this topic
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
reviews: 11
1. Re: Best area to stay on Kiawah Island

You can't compare Kiawah to any of the above!!! Kiawah is very green and beautiful with 10 miles of bikeable beaches...hope your granddaughters don't expect mini-golf and lots of tee shirt shops, won't find either here!!!

What type of accommodations are you looking for? A villa (condo), single family house? How many bedrooms?

What type of activities are you wanting to be near? The Oceanwoods community has great 2 and 3 bedroom houses that are very close to the beach and within walking distance of Night Heron Park.

There are evening activities geared toward teens at Night Heron Park (which begin about 9:00 p.m.), so the Night Heron Cottages might appeal to you a little more, an easy bike ride to the beach.

If your girls are interested in a pool, the easiest thing to do is make sure you rent through the Kiawah Resort.

Most of our family oriented activities begin Memorial Day weekend and continue through Labor Day.

Edited: 10:15 pm, December 25, 2013
Pittsburgh...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Best area to stay on Kiawah Island

Thanks for the comments. No my granddaughters are definitely not looking for the mini golf or tee shirt shops. You do not find them on Ocracoke at all. We want uncrowded beautiful beaches and scenery. They would enjoy wildlife and will be riding bikes a lot. I would like to be close enough to the beach to walk. I don't think I can handle a bike anymore but do enjoy walking. The girls do like shopping but prefer the more unique specialty shops as well as handmade items. We love shelling and hope to find some of them. We are from Pittsburgh and hope that in May the temperatures will be warm enough to go in the water.

Reply to: Best area to stay on Kiawah Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kiawah Island