We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beachwalker County Park question

Which Kiawah Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
chicago, il
reviews: 34
Beachwalker County Park question

We will be in Charleston for 5 whole days (very excited) Monday Sept. 30- Friday Oct. 4.

Since we're Midwesterners who don't get to go to the beach often, we would love to fit in a relaxing beach day on one of those days. Beachwalker County Park sounds like a lovely place to do that. My concern is if it will be open and all the facilities availble such as chair/umbrella rental at the time we're there.

Thanks again TA!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
reviews: 75
1. Re: Beachwalker County Park question

The park and basic amenities (soda vending machines, restrooms, and changing area) will be open; however, certain "seasonal" (snack bar and chair rentals, for example) will not be available in October. Bring a chair (or towels and a waterproof mat) and a picnic. There is no shade on the beach; however, the sun in October is generally not so strong as to cause problems. Sunglasses and a hat are good ideas.

Here are the details for Beachwalker Park - http://www.ccprc.com/index.aspx?NID=1411

chicago, il
2. Re: Beachwalker County Park question

Darn it. Thanks for the info though.

We'll be flying to SC and can pack very little, and so we will not be able to bring even a beach mat, much less chairs or anything.

My husband tans, but without an umbrella I unfortunately would burn to a crisp even with sunblock. Are there are any palms or other trees to provide shade I could spread a towel under? That could work.

My other idea is that we could make reservations for lunch at somewhere like the Night Heron Grill and be able to enjoy the facilities and beach access there for a couple of hours. It would be great to have a nice meal and drinks and not have to worry about putting together a picnic, etc. Is that kind of thing possible on Kiawah? It sounds like access is very restricted.

If none of the above is feasible, the alternative would be to go to another beach in the Charleston area.

What would you recommend for natural beauty, clean, and with facilities or beachfront restaurant for a base?

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
reviews: 75
3. Re: Beachwalker County Park question

Having lunch on Kiawah, and then going out to the beach is definitely a possibility. I recommend lunch at The Ryder Cup bar in the Ocean Course clubhouse. Another possibility for lunch is The Jasmine Porch at The Sanctuary Hotel.

There is no natural shade on the beach at Kiawah or at any of the beach parks. As far as I know, chair and umbrella rental service ends on Sept. 29 at all of the county beach parks. Perhaps you can rent equipment from a private provider, but I don't know of one available outside the summer months. Hope someone else can help.

Fayetteville...
Destination Expert
for Seabrook Island
reviews: 2
4. Re: Beachwalker County Park question

I don't know of a private "beach gear" provider either. Your best bet might be to purchase a chair and umbrella when you get here. The Ace Hardware in the Island Center (Maybank and River Road) usually has a good selection. I think Newton Farms grocery store in Freshfields also carries beach things.

chicago, il
5. Re: Beachwalker County Park question

Thanks for your help, everyone.

I'll figure something out.

There are stores near our hotel where i'll bet we could buy gear. I was thinking our hotel might even have something lying around that some other guests in a similar situation abandoned.

My cousing gave me a really nice big cushioned beach/ picnic mat that maybe i can finally put to use if I can cram it into the suitcase.

I did place a call to Night Heron Grill and found out they'll be open 11am-5pm at that time, which would work out. And now I have the 2 other suggestions as well from Kiawahvilla.

Thanks again, fill you in on our day at Kiawah (hopefully) at trip's end.

I lived in Mt. Pleasant for a couple of years as a kid. We loved it, but I never got to go to Kiawah, and have not even been back to the Charleston area since we moved away in 1980. I'm sure a lot has changed, but VERY excited to be going back.

6. Re: Beachwalker County Park question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, September 11, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Kiawah Island