We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to and getting food in Kiawah

Which Kiawah Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Driving to and getting food in Kiawah

We are a family of four driving from Cincinnati. Where is a good stopping point along the way to stay overnight and do we need to get groceries before getting onto the island?

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
reviews: 11
1. Re: Driving to and getting food in Kiawah

We used to drive from Columbus. Wytheville is about halfway, but if you want to go further, we've gone as far as Charlotte, which is only 3 hours from Charleston.

I like the Publix at Main and SR17 for groceries, there and Costco are where we do most of our weekly shopping. The Pig on Maybank isn't bad, but I think Publix is better. Newton Farms at Freshfields is an interesting store, has nice things for takeout and bakery, but I use them mostly if I need something at the last minute.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
reviews: 75
2. Re: Driving to and getting food in Kiawah

For fresh from the farm vegetables, the large Rosebank Farms stand just outside the Kiawah/Seabrook roundabout is excellent. They also sell yummy, locally-made banana bread, and a few other local items.

Edited: 3:02 pm, June 17, 2013
reviews: 5
3. Re: Driving to and getting food in Kiawah

This is a little late but hope it is still relevant to your plans. We have made many trips to Kiawah from northeast Ohio and like to stop overnight in Statesville, North Carolina, usually at the intersection with Interstate 40.. There are several motels and places to eat in the area.

We like this because it leaves a leisurely 4 hour drive to the Charleston/Kiawah area the next morning. This puts us in the Charleston area around Noon. We like to go into the Charleston historic district for lunch at Fleet Landing on the Cooper River to relax, catch the breeze and watch the river traffic. Then after being refreshed we make the 30 minute drive out to Kiawah via Maybank Rd.. Nothing wrong with Wytheville as a stopover, there appear to be many motels for overnighting. I just wanted to share our next-day 4-hour drive/lunch in Charleston concept, which fits perfect with a stop in Statesville.. This has become a tradition for us with each Kiawah visit.

Overnighting in Charlotte would put you 45 minutes closer to your destination.. Overnighting in Wytheville would leave you more like a full day's drive to Kiawah.

Edited: 10:37 am, July 04, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
4. Re: Driving to and getting food in Kiawah

Thanks for everyone's comments. SInce we were coming down I-75 from just below Cincinnati we ended up staying overnight in Spartanburg, SC. There is a Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Inn, and Hampton Inn that are comparable. Had a good time in Kiawah, even over July 4th it did not seem crowded.

5. Re: Driving to and getting food in Kiawah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 10, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Kiawah Island