We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kiawah Recommendations

Which Kiawah Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nashville, Tennessee
Kiawah Recommendations

We are returning to Kiawah after many years with our now older children. Trying to refresh my memory! There used to be a great seafood shop on the way in that sold the best ice cream pies. Still there? Because the girls were so little, we never got to explore fun local places in ares like John's Island, etc. Are there places there like Poe's on Sullivans? We also never went to Bohicket. Places there?

Many thanks!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
reviews: 75
1. Re: Kiawah Recommendations

You are thinking about Kiawah-Seabrook Seafood - glorious local seafood, and memorable ice cream pies!

I'm sorry to tell you that Kiawah-Seabrook Seafood has been for over ten years. The building is still there, and is home to Chez Fish ... a nice seafood restaurant that also sells fresh fish for you to prepare at home. But, no more ice cream pies. :-(

Nashville, Tennessee
2. Re: Kiawah Recommendations

I figured I might have been out of luck, it's been awhile! When I saw that a whole shopping development has popped up at the crossroads to Seabrook/Kiawah/John's, I figured time probably marched on. How about Newton Farms? What is memorable there in terms of nice take out meat/seafood/dessert?

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
3. Re: Kiawah Recommendations

Newton Farms is a full-service grocery store and part of the Piggly Wiggly chain. The butcher is wonderful. The catering department is excellent, if you have cause to use it. They also sell prepared food from the case. The pick up food from the case is generally not as good as the catered food, but it is useful in a pinch.

Crave, near the entrance to Kiawah and Seabrook, sells some prepared foods, but selections are limited, change daily, and nothing (IMO) that you couldn't buy in any other suburban area. Rosebank Farms farm stand used to sell prepared food, but they've pretty much cut that out. The only other business of this kind, Cindy's Seafood, appeared briefly and died in the past decade; the old Cindy's Seafood location is now a real estate office.

I'm actually mystified as to where all our wonderful local specialty prepared foods have gone. Although it's easier to run to Newton Farms than it was to forage for food in the roadside stands, I really miss the ice cream pies and other delights of summer.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
4. Re: Kiawah Recommendations

You also probably remember Scoopers Ice Cream shop at the Straw Market in West Beach. We and our children loved their creamy, small batch ice cream, with the unique flavor combinations. Unfortunately, Scoopers was squeezed out by the resort, who now operate their own ice cream shop in the Scoopers location ... selling Breyers Ice Cream(!!) just like you can buy in the supermarket.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
reviews: 11
5. Re: Kiawah Recommendations

Red's and Fischer's over at Bohicket are both restaurants that are quite popular with the locals. I believe there is an ice cream shop over there, but I've never been. I believe they have live bands several times a week.

Freshfields is a nice place to visit, they have evening activities during the summer, outdoor movies on Wednesday and live bands every Friday. They have ice cream over there, but it's Marble Slab, another chain.

There are plenty of restaurants on Maybank, Fat Hen, Wild Olive and JB's Smokeshack to name a few.

If you want shrimp off the dock, take the scenic drive out to Wadmalaw Island to Cherry Point Landing.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
6. Re: Kiawah Recommendations

My opinion on best take out items available at Newton Farms ...

I like the pulled pork, but prefer South Carolina mustard based sauce to Newton Farms' sweet red sauce. I buy the pork without extra sauce. I heat the pork for a long time reducing the extraneous juices (lots of water cooks out) and add my own sauce to taste.

NF's coleslaw and "Southern" potato salad are generally good. Their grilled and roasted vegetables (especially the grilled asparagus) are excellent.

The soups are good. The pizza is "doughy", but OK if you tart it up with some of your own toppings.

Today I'm trying the butterfly pasta with chicken salad. (The guy behind the counter says he eats this salad at least three times a week, so I guess he likes it.) My daughter loves the chicken salad with grapes. I used to like the tuna salad, but I think they have changed their recipe. Skip the so-called "Johns Island shrimp salad", and make your own using local shrimp.

NF's cakes and pies are too sweet and gooey for my taste, but give them a try.

TOP TIP: If there is something unusual in the take out selection ... i.e. something you might not normally see in a take out case ... try it! These one-off, small-batch items are excess from the catering department, and are more "gourmet" than the daily deli food.

Edited: 11:49 am, June 09, 2013
7. Re: Kiawah Recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 pm, July 11, 2013
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
reviews: 11
8. Re: Kiawah Recommendations

Again Charlsi: No self promotion, the point is for us to recommend you!!! You have to pay for advertising on TA.

Best of luck w/your business, though!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
9. Re: Kiawah Recommendations

Charlsi - Welcome to TripAdvisor! You are providing a much needed service, and I am very happy to have the information. Unfortunately, advertising on the forum is not permitted; thus your post got removed.

Before your post was removed, I took a look at your website. The home page would not open in Internet Explorer, but everything else worked. Menu and services look great. I hope someone on the forum will try it out, and post on the forum. Good luck with your business - http://www.myvacationchef.com/index.html

10. Re: Kiawah Recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 13, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Kiawah Island