We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting vs. Buying beach chairs?

Which Isle of Palms hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Branchburg, New...
reviews: 3
Renting vs. Buying beach chairs?

My husband & I will be staying on IOP during the first week of June. It won't be possible for us to bring our own beach chairs since we are flying down. We've checked into renting chairs from the IOP Beach Chair Co. - but for 6 days, the price including tax comes to $132. Seems to me we could buy two beach chairs & an umbrella for cheaper than this! Can anyone recommend a place on the way from the airport to IOP where we could buy beach chairs at a reasonable price?

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
reviews: 11
1. Re: Renting vs. Buying beach chairs?

There's a Target on the Isle of Palms Connector in the shopping center with Piggly Wiggly. You'll see the sign on the right as you go toward IOP.

Branchburg, New...
2. Re: Renting vs. Buying beach chairs?

Thanks Shanklemsw. Do you think they have a good variety of beach chairs at that Target? Are there any other stores in the area - that exclusively sell beach chairs, beach towels, beach toys, etc?

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
reviews: 11
3. Re: Renting vs. Buying beach chairs?

There's a Waves store on the Connector as well. To be honest, I can't tell you what they have. I've never been in it! But it might be good to check.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
reviews: 28
4. Re: Renting vs. Buying beach chairs?

I went in it once. They mostly have bathing suits and souvenirs, but they should have some chairs, etc also.

I don't know of any stores that sell only beach chairs, etc.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
reviews: 12
5. Re: Renting vs. Buying beach chairs?

Have you checked w/whoever you are renting from to see if they have chairs already there for you to use??? Many places provide chairs, etc. for their guests.

The Pig usually has a good selection of chairs and towels, as well.

Branchburg, New...
6. Re: Renting vs. Buying beach chairs?

Thanks for all the help. No, the place doesn't provide chairs. The rental agent referred us to the chair rental company. By, the Pig - do you mean the Piggly Wiggly gocery store?

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
reviews: 28
7. Re: Renting vs. Buying beach chairs?

Yes.

Bethpage NY
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 184
8. Re: Renting vs. Buying beach chairs?

I know its somewhat expensive to rent chairs and umbrella but if you buy cheap chairs and a cheap umbrella it will not be better. Those cheap umbrellas can really fly and cheap chairs break and are uncomfortable. It may be worth the extra money.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
reviews: 85
9. Re: Renting vs. Buying beach chairs?

The rental chairs and umbrellas are comfortable and sturdy; however, they are put up and taken down at specific times, and they can be located only in specific areas where the rental company operates.

When we have rented at fly-to destinations we often buy inexpensive beach chairs and just leave them in the villa when we depart. We enjoy the convenience since, with our own chairs (and occasionally an umbrella), we can set up and break down whenever and wherever we please.

As vacation home owners, we have tried to provide beach chairs. Unfortunately, the beach chairs we supply usually disappear within a few weeks, probably because they get left on the beach.

Branchburg, New...
10. Re: Renting vs. Buying beach chairs?

So - Kiawahville - are you saying that if we rent the beach chairs, we can only use them in a specifc area of the beach where the rental company operates? Also - do you know, if you want to go visit another beach - i.e., if we want to go the Beachwalker Park in Kaiwah or to Folly Beach - can we take the chairs off our beach for the day as long as we return them before the rental company collects them for the day?

Get answers to your questions about Isle of Palms