We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IOP versus Folly Island

Which Isle of Palms hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
IOP versus Folly Island

I will be visiting the beach on July 4th weekend and I am trying to decide between IOP and Folly Beach. Both areas have a hotel on the beach. My friend and I are early 30's and want a relaxing time at the beach and good restaurants and nightlife. Which would be more suitable Folly or IOP?

Charleston, SC
reviews: 54
1. Re: IOP versus Folly Island

Based on your need for nightlife, I'd probably recommend Folly. IOP has only a few beachfront bars and is overall much more upscale. Folly has been described as more "bohemian" and laid back and has lots of local hangouts. It is also the favorite of the local college crowd, where IOP is more family-oriented with only a handful of bars. (though there are bars in Sullivan's island, too, as well as many local hangouts in nearby Mt. Pleasant).

However, since you mentioned July 4th, there is no bigger local July 4th celebration than the one at Patriot's Point, which is in Mt. Pleasant (and not far from IOP or Sullivan's)

Does that help?

Philadelphia
2. Re: IOP versus Folly Island

This definitely does help. I may be a little old for the college crowd, so I am leaning towards IOP!

Thanks for the response.

CHARLESTON, SC
Destination Expert
for Charleston
reviews: 16
3. Re: IOP versus Folly Island

I would recommend IOP as well. Check out the website below with some Charleston hotels. A couple of them are on the IOP.

www.secure-res.com/rdx.asp…

Mount Pleasant...
reviews: 39
4. Re: IOP versus Folly Island

I would suggest IOP or Sullivan's Island. You will be able to see the fireworks for both areas as well as Folly, City of CHS, and many others. My wife an I are in our 40s and enjoy what we perceive to be a more relaxed atmosphere in the IOP area. We often go there in the evening just for ice cream and a walk along the sidewalk.

We are not party animals by the stretch of anyone's imagination, IOP seems to have enough nightlife for most people and it seems more relaxed to me.

OHIO
reviews: 2
5. Re: IOP versus Folly Island

Our 3 generation family group is visiting IOP in July. It is good to see the posts telling of its family-friendly atmosphere! We chose well!

6. Re: IOP versus Folly Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, September 29, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Palms