We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Having trouble finding good fishing Information

Which Hilton Head hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
reviews: 32
Having trouble finding good fishing Information

Hi guys, We have never had a great fishing experience, my son is now at the age that he would really like to try to catch at least a few fish, here's what we have tried so far... We have tried a little fishing from a lagoon (not a great idea!), from the beach in Lands End, past the Salty dog, and we sent the boys to the "Family Freshwater fishing" in the forest preserve. We are staying in Sea Pines but wouldn't mind going somewhere else on the island. I have looked at old topics and can't really find any other great ideas ( I saw my post from 3 years ago, LOL!) My son would probably love to get out in a boat but I wouldn't want to get too far out, so any suggestions would be great, Land or Water!

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
reviews: 78
1. Re: Having trouble finding good fishing Information

The Coastal Discovery Museum does a family fishing safari. You would need to call them directly for information. That number is: 843-689-6767ext 223

Joanne

Hilton Head, South...
reviews: 1
2. Re: Having trouble finding good fishing Information

Maybe try the public boat landings? I see folks fishing off there all the time when I'm kayaking. Not sure if they are catching anything or not but maybe worth a shot, at least then your son can stay on dry land.

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 11
3. Re: Having trouble finding good fishing Information

There a several party boats that don't go far offshore. The only one I have personal experience is Capt Hook out of Shelter Cove but I'm sure you can find others leaving closer to Sea Pines. I think a party boat would be a great trip for your son. They are usually 4 to 5 hours and its rare that you don't catch something.

The lagoon at Palmetto Dunes is great fishing for kids. Lots of small fish that are always biting.

Hilton Head Island
4. Re: Having trouble finding good fishing Information

Do you want to fish in freshwater or saltwater? Your best bet is to book one of the charters out of the N End fleet. http://www.northendcharterfleet.com/ All are good captains and will put you on fish whether its inshore, nearshore or offshore.

There is plenty of good fishing in Sea Pines and you can do it by yourself with bait and gear from Wally World. Just look at Google maps and find the ponds and lagoons within the plantation. One last option is to check some of the local fishing forums like charlestonfishing.com.

Catch 'em up!

Cincinnati, Ohio
reviews: 32
5. Re: Having trouble finding good fishing Information

Wow! Thanks for all of the great information, I'm going to check out all possible ideas, as we are in HHI for a week. According to my son there can never be too much fishing!

Fairfax, Virginia
6. Re: Having trouble finding good fishing Information

I've fished the lagoons with my 2 young sons and had a lot of fun. We've also surf fished from the beach (early morning), with the boys using their regular fishing gear (5' poles). You really dont have to cast too far to find some action. They caught whiting and small sharks, which they loved. As someone else mentioned, the Walmart on the island has a ton of fishing gear and frozen bait (shrimp, squid, etc).

7. Re: Having trouble finding good fishing Information

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 12, 2014