We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

extended family vacation

Which Hilton Head hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Madison, Wisconsin
reviews: 2
extended family vacation

Every 3 years 12 of us, from all over decide on a location. In August it is Hilton Head. I have already rented a house on Mooring Buoy (lagoon side). How did I do with the location?

The kids are between 11-14 would it be safe for them to rent bikes and just go with cell phones in hand?

Also my father is a little bit nervous about allilgators and the kids. How do I calm his fears of a hand being bitten off?

Thanks for your input.

Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
reviews: 77
1. Re: extended family vacation

While I don't know the specific house you have rented, the area is quite nice inside Palmetto Dunes and a quick stride over to the beach. PD is a gated community and while there can often be a false sense of security in any gated community (that is, no place is 100%), it is certainly an area where I would not fear having 11-14 year olds with their phones bike without an adult . Obviously, you would review safety rules with them, but I have always permitted my kids to bike on their own inside a gated community at that age.

With regard to gators. Number 1 safety rule: DO NOT feed, taunt or attempt to get too close to a gator. Remember, gators can be under the water and emerge quite quickly without warning. Just because you can't see them, doesn't mean they are not there. Personally, I do not encourage fishing on the banks of lagoons, even though it is permitted and many people do fish along lagoons. If you play golf, don't try to fish your ball out of the lagoon. RESPECT the gator and their habitat and you will not have any issues with regard to a gator attack.

Have fun.

Joanne

Madison, Wisconsin
reviews: 2
2. Re: extended family vacation

Thanks Joanne,

I will probably be posting more questions within the next 6 months. Feel free to answer ofter and honestly.

Thanks,

Heidi

Missouri
3. Re: extended family vacation

HI Heidi:

I echo Joanne’s excellent advice, she is a long time resident and knows the island quite well.

You did very well on location! Perfect. Very nice residential area, close to amenities, right next to the beach.

My husband, daughter and I vacation every year in PD, a stone's throw from the street where you will be staying. We also stay on the lagoon, which is wonderful, we sit on the lagoon side deck for hours....watching the fish jump, birds, and occasional alligator. :)

I was like your Dad at first, a bit alarmed when we first visited HHI, and heard about the alligators. We laugh now about my fears, as they have never been a problem. One year we did not see any swimming in the lagoon and we were disappointed! We go kayaking or canoeing in the lagoons as a matter of fact and have had no problems at all.

(The alligators float or glide in the lagoons, we may see only one or two the whole week we are there…. They look like a log just floating down the lagoon, a “log” with big eyes!)

However, you must not feed them or interfere with them in any way. We operate under the premise that if we leave them alone, they will leave us alone. And we follow the law and rules about the alligators.

My daughter was 15 this past summer, we have been renting a bike for her and myself for a couple of years, should have done it when she was younger.

Bikes are allowed on the beach, so the kids can ride up and down the beach, as well as the many bike paths. I would ride with your kids for the first time to help them understand the rules of the bike paths, and locations, but they will catch on fast.

My daughter rides primarily up and down the beach and to the nearby little general store to get snacks and food! We also eat lunch on the beach, the little beach house restaurant is wonderful.

Coligny area is great for the kids to shop, eat, get face paining, braids, etc and lots of suveniers and ice cream!

My daughter gets her picture taken with King Neptune statue at Shelter Cove every year, right across the highway from PD, also more shops and restaurants, and weekly fireworks.

Hope this helps and I know you will have a great time!

Cassie

Edited: 9:28 pm, January 18, 2013
Hilton Head, South...
Destination Expert
for Hilton Head
reviews: 77
4. Re: extended family vacation

Cassie's post reminded me to highlight one other "bike" issue. Unlike many areas, on HHI, vehicles typically have the right of way, not the bikes (there are some exceptions to this outside plantations, but this is mostly the general rule). There will be folks in cars who will stop for bikes (which they shouldn't as they can cause fender benders- unless the biker is already in the crossing lane ), but bikers should obey the signs on the bike paths as well as any traffic signs.

Last year I posted a whole topic on bike safety here on the forum. Not sure if it is still in the archives or not. I will have to look and repost for the upcoming tourist season.

Also, while helmets are not law in SC, I would encourage their use for all children.

Joanne

Edited: 8:42 am, January 19, 2013
Boston
5. Re: extended family vacation

Joanne - Great idea to repost the bike guide to remind people of the bike laws on HHI, although we have been coming twice a year for many years we still have to step back for a minute and remember where we are and that the rules are different on HH for biking. My personal favorite is leaving Shelter Cove at the main intersection to Palmetto Dunes rather large sign stating bikers/walkers etc must use the under highway bridge to get accross 278 and bikers waiting at the intersection for the light to change so that they can bike accross 278.

London, Canada
reviews: 37
6. Re: extended family vacation

WE also took our FRS with us and gave them to the kids. They had a blast riding their bikes on the beach.

Hope this helps,

D in Muskoka

7. Re: extended family vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 21, 2014