We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We are planning our trip! Need some local advice.

Which Hilton Head hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, Canada
reviews: 37
We are planning our trip! Need some local advice.

Hello Fellow TAs:

Well, through the kindheartedness of friends and fellow TAs, we are now planning our trip.

Last year my husband was able to bring his own golf clubs (with difficulty, but we didn't know why then) but this year, it's impossible to navigate two airports with them.

I know this question has been asked before, but wondering if anyone has any experience with renting clubs and what the cost is. Since he doesn't know just how many rounds he'll play we have to consider the per day or per week price. He's hoping to get in 3 to 4 rounds.

Any and all help would be appreciated,

Thanks so much,

D in Muskoka

And we will be able to use our dining certificate we received from the contest!! Thanks to all of you.

Boston
1. Re: We are planning our trip! Need some local advice.

D

So happy to hear you are able to visit your favorite spot. We are planning our next visit for the first week in October and I must say I need my HH fix bad. Our biggest challenge this trip is finding a rental car at a reasonable price so far best we can find is Hertz via AARP and that is still more then we have ever paid for a small car in October.

Just mentioned your news to my husband and of course he started the on line search, he found 2 sites not sure about either one since he brings his clubs - Golf Headquarters located near Sea PInes 1016 Wm Hilton Pkwy, website says they rent golf clubs, www.golfhqhiltonhead.com, other site we found was www.golfrentalworld.com. Other thought mayby your friends at The Bike Doctor may have a suggestion for you also.

Hope this helps and I am sure Stan or Joanne will have some great ideas for you too.

London, Canada
2. Re: We are planning our trip! Need some local advice.

This is too funny. As the page was loading I was thinking, I bet this is HHB replying first to my post. Guess what? Sure enough, it was you! You are so faithful.

As far the car rental is concerned, I know what you mean. Last year in October we got a car, well really, a Nissan Cube, for $108 per week, all in. Mind you, our jaws dropped when they pointed out our vehicle. We felt like "Postman Pat!!" We were just missing the black and white cat. I guess you have to be british to know what I'm talking about.

As for clubs, I told my husband what one of the courses wanted $40 per round to rent, he died. I will check out those sites, otherwise, I think I may be strapping them to my back! At least that will leave my hands free for the luggage....

Take care,

D in Muskoka

Boston
3. Re: We are planning our trip! Need some local advice.

D you are too funny, one year we ended up with a Chevorlet HHR, I felt like I was looking out a small window right above the steering wheel and no side views. Right now we are at $170 for the week for a c ompact, usually end up paying about $100 a week in Oct for a compact will keep on shopping.

One year when our daughter was attending school in Myrtle Beach we brought her clubs with us when we came in Oct and then another family member brought them home in the spring, they just would not fit in the car when she drove down. Everyone has a good golf travel bag in our family, I ended up rolling the golf bag along with my suticase and I must say it really wasn't that bad. We also take some medical equipment for my husband in my carry on. We do ship some medical supplies ahead

That being said if you may end up having to wheel luggage for both of you, it may be worth it to rent the clubs when you add on the extra baggage fee charge for the clubs. Or what about shipping the clubs ahead, another thought that entered my mind as I was writing this

In the end it will work out for you no matter which route you choose

HHB

Chicago
reviews: 16
4. Re: We are planning our trip! Need some local advice.

Why not ship your clubs to your rental location or to the first course he wants to play at? FedEx ships them for $40 I believe. You can arrange for them to also pick up from your rental location on the day you leave. It's very easy.

Daufuskie Island
reviews: 2
5. Re: We are planning our trip! Need some local advice.

If you just need some "sticks" to play with and aren't concerned about top-of-the-line, custom fitted clubs then why not pick up a full set at Wal-mart for $99? You can order them online and have them waiting for you to pick up on island.

MIght be cheaper than renting.

Even beach bikes are only $88.

Then at the end of your trip, donate them to one of the charity thrift shops and take a tax writeoff.

Have fun!

Jeff

London, Canada
6. Re: We are planning our trip! Need some local advice.

Well I have looked into all suggestions. The golf course (Golden Bear) rents the clubs for $40 per day (YIKES)

Walmart has a set for $99 (which we'd have to leave behind)

Golf HQ rents them for $30 per day or $25 if you rent them for at least 5 days.

Fedex is roughly $90 - $100 (ground shipping 4 days - possible damage??_

I know when you think of $30 or $40 per day it doesn't sound like much, but ADD that your green fees/cart fees and it's a lot. Especially when your doing this trip on a budget.

Not sure what to do , but appreciate all your suggestions, for sure!

D in Muskoka

Edited: 9:55 pm, September 12, 2012
Boston
7. Re: We are planning our trip! Need some local advice.

D

In the end you will make the correct decision for both you and your husband, since you are coming from out of the country do you have to pay baggage charge like we do if flying within in the US, ugg I hate paying that charge. If you do not have to pay for baggage charges, bring the clubs, get one of the luggage trolleys to put all the luggage on in baggage claim, and then you can pull the luggage on the cart all the way to your rental car, which in Savannah as you know isn't that far. That way your husband can play with his own clubs which he is much more comfortable with.

Enjoy your trip

HHB

Edited: 6:04 am, September 13, 2012
Atlanta
8. Re: We are planning our trip! Need some local advice.

By chance do any of the nice locals have an extra set or know of anyone that has a set just laying around that they could possible loan you for the week? How about one of the thrift stores?

9. Re: We are planning our trip! Need some local advice.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, September 26, 2013