We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greenville SC visit

Which Greenville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Palm Beach Gardens...
Greenville SC visit

I will be visiting Greenville for four days the last week in June. Accommodations are all taken care of and I'll be staying near the Haywood Ave. area. I am planning on relocating from south Florida in the future and am considering a move to Greenville. I'll be scouting around for communities, neighborhoods, and generally getting a feel for the city. Although I'll be busy during the day, I'd like some ideas for after hours.

What are your suggestions for a nice dinner, happy hour, etc. that would be enticing for an upscale, professional, mid 40's crowd? Fun easy conversation and a place that's inviting would be best. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am really looking forward to my trip! Thank you.

Myrtle Beach, South...
1. Re: Greenville SC visit

I lived in upstate SC for 20+ yrs my husband is from there. We live in MB now but love upstate. Greenville is a nice town, however, now that we live in MB, nocomparision as far as night life, MB has a ton. Go to Main St downtown for nice dinner, Main Street has Hyatt Hotel and Westin Poinsett, 2 alternatives if you would like to stay where you would have some entertainment choices, you can walk to everything. Wild Wings will have entertainment. The problem with MOST town is they forget to cater to the over 40 crowd, we still are active and love to go out, since our kids are grown. You will find housing to be decent, you did not mention kids, schools, hobbies. Simpsonville, Maudlin, Paris Mtn area around Furman, Pelham Road and Woodruff Rd have alot of nice developments but the roads are so very busy.

Greer, SC
reviews: 15
2. Re: Greenville SC visit

FLnow,

My wife and I are in our mid-30s, not quite upscale, but close, and it appears we may share some similar interests. The downtown Greenville area is truly a wonderful place. Some restaurants you may want to consider are Restaruant O (fine dining, nice bar upstairs), Rick Erwins, Devereaux, or Soby's. I have been to all of these places, and they're all nice. High Cotton and Brown Street Jazz Club are fairly new places that are geared more toward the upscale crowd, but we have not yet visited either of them.

Falls Park on the "West End" of downtown has a unique suspension bridge overlooking the Reedy River and a small waterfall. The entire West End area has been developed significantly over the past two years and has added to the ambiance of the entire downtown area. If you're a baseball fan, check out the Greenville Drive. It's an 'A' league team affiliated with the Red Sox, and our new stadium has a mini-green monster. If baseball interests you, it may be worth looking into tickets ahead of time, as weekend games often sell out.

If I can provide any further advise or answer any specific questions, please feel free to email to johnbarth at bellsouth dot net.

Enjoy your trip!!

sc
3. Re: Greenville SC visit

Flnow...let me help you out if you havent moved already...DONT! i moved to Greenville from Indianapolis 6 mos ago. Now granted, Indiana is not the most "happening" city in the world, but it seems like Vegas compared to Greenville. Im assuming you are used to lots of activities and diversity being from south florida, as am I. Well the locals think that Greenville has those things...probably b/c it does...for SOUTH CAROLINA! lol

Here's the real deal. I am in my late 20s and made a professional move here. If you are single and looking to meet new ppl and mingle and are into diverse activities and night life, interesting ppl .... forget your plans to move to Greenville. Dont let the cute-ness of downtown fool you. Those few blocks are as good as Greenville gets. Oh and did I mention...there's only ONE MALL!

Now, if you are looking for a cute, small town, thats quiet, and crime free, and a place where everything closes by 8 or 9 during the week and closed completely on sundays (its a ghost town on sundays), where everyone knows your name, and everyone hangs out at college-esk type bars, with enough resturants to feed an army (thats all ppl do here is eat!), and no one is in a rush to do ANYTHING...then Greenville will be perfect for you.

Not my kinda place. Im a progressive kinda woman, but if youre looking for peace and quiet in a traditional southern town, it might be yours.

Myrtle Beach, South...
4. Re: Greenville SC visit

I agree with jazzmin, if you are single, there are not alot of places to go. Been there, done that. Also, Haywood Mall is your main mall, some smaller strip type malls are around, you can find things, its not like there is n't anywhere to shop, they just don't have multiple large malls. Greenville will be a huge change from Palm Beach, but I have lived worse places then Greenville. There is good and bad everywhere you live. I will say if you are from the north, South Carolina could be a bit of a change, anywhere in the south, with exception of FL will be a change. FL lost its southern roots long ago.

Myrtle Beach, South...
5. Re: Greenville SC visit

Barthy are you originally from Greer? My husband was born there, way before you, but might know some people in common.

6. Re: Greenville SC visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, September 04, 2009