We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bike riding at Fripp Island

Ohio
reviews: 23
Bike riding at Fripp Island

We are looking forward to our first trip to Fripp Island in June, and will be renting a house towards the south end of Tarpon Blvd. We are traveling with pre teen and teenage kids and were considering bike rentals. I know that Island Excursions rents them by the day and the week. Do you think there are plenty of entertaining places to ride bikes to, or will the kids be happy to ride with their parents in golf carts, or walk? Is Hunting Island State Park easily accessible by bike from the southern Tarpon Blvd area, and is it nice to bike through?

2 replies to this topic
Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 79
1. Re: Bike riding at Fripp Island

The main beach at Hunting Island is about 1.5 miles from the south end of Tarpon and Hunting is not really arranged for bikes; there are walking trails. I'm not sure the bike rental people would let you take the bike off of Fripp anyway. Fripp has a system of bike paths and folks are used to seeing them on the roads there also.

Cincinnati, Ohio
reviews: 7
2. Re: Bike riding at Fripp Island

The kids will probably want their own transportation and Fripp is a very family friendly island with controlled access by way of a manned guard shack at the end of the bridge. Lots of stuff for them to do as long as everyone has an "activity card" (I forget what they actually call the card) because you can buy very little on the Island without it. I don't know how much the bike rental fee is but I wonder if it is cheaper to buy a bike at the Beaufort Walmart and just leave it at the house for the next renter??? and some houses come with bikes for your use.

Hunting Island State Park is beauty beyond belief... it's a tropical paradise. But I agree with Stevedc about maybe not having the kids do a bike trip to the park.

We have stayed on Fripp many times over the years and really love the Island.

Reply to: Bike riding at Fripp Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted