We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions please!

Which Edisto Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
McMinnville, TN
reviews: 6
Suggestions please!

My husband and I had been planning to spend our June vacation at Gulf Shores. Due to the uncertainty of what will be happening with the oil spill, we decided to change locations. I have reserved a cottage on Edisto Island. Things I have read about the quiet beach and laid-back atmosphere appeal to us. I would appreciate suggestions about places to eat and some things to do. We love the beach but would like to find a few other activities, too.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
reviews: 28
1. Re: Suggestions please!

You are about an hour from Charleston if you want to take a day or 2 to check out all the beautiful and historic things here. Look on the Charleston Forum for lots of suggestions, also on the Charleston page - if you look to the top right you will find "Top Questions about Charleston" this will also give some ideas of things to see and do.

Can't help you too much with Edisto, I know there are few restaurants in that area. I'm sure someone else who knows more about that area will chime in and help.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
reviews: 11
2. Re: Suggestions please!

Edisto is lovely. There's a great farm stand on your right as you go in called King's. Stop there and check out their stuff

discoversouthcarolina.com/see-do/scenic-high…

Main's Market is fun for casual lunch. The Old Post Office is getting mixed reviews, but I know it used to be great.

You may want to take a trip (about an hour's drive) into Charleston and take advantage of all the activities and fabulous food in town.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 1
3. Re: Suggestions please!

I spent a week at Edisto last summer with my husband and his extended family. It was my first trip to the ocean, and it was truly magical. My only complaint is that there seemed to be a lack of fresh foods in the area (i.e. most of the restaurants serve an abundance of fried items). Would definitely recommend stocking up at the produce stand that's a few miles from the beach (as a previous poster recommended) or bringing something in from elsewhere, as the selection at the island grocer is somewhat limited.

As for things to do...we splurged and went kayaking (also for the first time ever). I would definitely recommend it! We saw porpoise playing all around us. Also, I hear that Edisto Beach State Park is worth the time to explore.

Have fun!

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
reviews: 11
4. Re: Suggestions please!

Sorry sister, just because it's fried doesn't mean it's not fresh. Did you really think because it was fried it wasn't fresh? Askin'

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
reviews: 12
5. Re: Suggestions please!

Here's the info I just posted on another thread that may help you w/things to do on/near Edisto...

You will find lots of relaxation on Edisto, as well as walking (as opposed to hiking, this is the Lowcountry, no mountains or even hills) and unforgettable options for photography.

Look to Botany Bay Plantation for a few hours of walking/photo ops, right there at Edisto.

You might also contact my friend Ralph to take you for a paddle trip in the ACE Basin (Ashepoo, Cumbahee & Edisto Rivers). There are several hundred thousand acres of federally protected wetlands (marshes, both salt and fresh water, blackwater and depending up the temps, you should spy a gator or two) that would give you lots of gorgeous shots...

www.kayakcharleston.net

Enjoy your visit!

Aiken, South...
reviews: 68
6. Re: Suggestions please!

There are several good restaurants on Edisto that do not (as implied by the previous poster) specialize in fried foods. For breakfast you can't beat the Sea Cow. Mcconkeys Jungle Shack has great burgers & sandwiches for lunch as does the Sea Cow. Try the Old Post Office or Plantation Grille for dinner. If you like BBQ, Po Pigs has won awards for its BBQ. If you travel a little way into Hollywood, the Old Firehouse is a great place for dinner also.

Charlotte, North...
reviews: 1
7. Re: Suggestions please!

If you want really fresh seafood you can buy and cook your own... Edisto Seafood is family owned and run and sells local fresh product it is located on Docksite Road :)

8. Re: Suggestions please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 21, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Edisto Island