We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel to Clemson

Which Clemson hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
travel to Clemson

I am attending a conference in May at Clemson university. my flight from the uk arrives at Atlanta and i cannot find information about a transfer to Clemson - at 178 miles i am daunted! there is a train but i have been advised it often runs verylate - which would mean i arrive in clemson after midnight. i am not an experienced or confident traveller and advice owuld be appreciated Thank you, Rebecca

Aiken, South...
reviews: 68
1. Re: travel to Clemson

There is no flight from Atlanta to Clemson; you will need to fly to Greenville-Spartanburg (GSP), which is 40-45 miles away from Clemson. If the conference is being run by the University, I would contact them and ask about the best means to get from GSP to campus (perhaps they will be running a shuttle or can recommend a local hotel in Clemson that will provide tranportation. There are several chain hotels in Clemson that may provide such service). You can also rent a car and drive to Clemson (it is not hard to find) but, most of the drive is on freeway, so it is understandable if you do not feel comfortable with that option. Clemson University is in the small town of Clemson, South Carolina, which is in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains. A beautiful setting for a wonderful university but not easily reached by public transportation. The campus and town will be somewhat quiet as the students are now finished with spring semester. The campus is actually the grounds of the plantation of John C. Calhoun, a former Vice-President and Senator of the United States (prior to the Civil War). Make sure to take time to visit Fort Hill, the original Clahoun plantation home, which is in the middle of campus and open for tours. You will find the people of Clemson to be very gracious and friendly, ready to help you with whatever you need. Also make sure you get a memento with the famous Tiger Paw on it, symbol of the University and its athletic teams (you will see it everywhere there). I am an alumnus of Clemson and still visit the campus several times a year. The e-mail address for the university is: www.clemson.edu. I am sure you will be able to find a link to someone that will be able to help you. Hope you enjoy your visit.

Go Tigers!!!

UK
2. Re: travel to Clemson

Thank you for this information. i have now booked to fly from Atlanta to Greenville, so just need to solve the last leg of the journey. i am very excited by the thought of seeing those Blue Ridge Mountains and of seeing the Southern States, meeting the people and eating a peach!

Aiken, South...
reviews: 68
3. Re: travel to Clemson

Glad to be of help. Another web site you can try to obtain information on the area is:

www.cityofclemson.org

This is the town's website. Gives a history of the area, etc. Sorry I did not think to include it yesterday. Bring some comfortable walking shoes; people walk everywhere there. The campus and town are slightly hilly. You would need a car to actually get to the mountains, although on a clear day you can see them from the top of the Clemson House and some of the other buildings on campus (I remember being able to see them from my dorm room window). Make sure you try some grits (a hot cereal of ground corn) drowned in butter; a true staple of the South (I know; I grew up eating them every morning). If you are adventerous, you might want to also try the official snack food of South Carolina - boiled peanuts. I love them, but a lot of non-Southerners aren't particularly thrilled with them (my husband, a New Jersey native, can't stand them, but my stepson loves them). Also make sure you go by Hendrix Student Center and try some of Clemson's famous ice cream. It is made by the University (we have a large dairy research center with lots of cows; might as well make something delicious with all that milk!) and is great. And of course, no tour of Clemson is complete without a stop by Memorial Stadium, which is the home of Clemson's football team.(American football being quite different from the what the rest of the world calls football). It holds over 81,000 and is one of the largest on-campus stadiums in the nation (and filled with orange clad Tiger fans every fall). College football, as you will be able to see from the stadium size, is VERY popular in the American South.

Glad I could help. I hope you have a great visit; as you can tell, I still love Clemson. GO TIGERS!!

Clemson, SC
4. Re: travel to Clemson

While in Clemson, come visit SINE QUA NON restaurant. It is a fun atmosphere (Wednesday is Ladies night; Thursday is Karaoke).

Great food and fun times; as the name says "Second to None"

Ask for Carlos or Raymond; they are good friends.

5. Re: travel to Clemson

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, August 12, 2009