We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car in Charleston

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Memphis
Rental Car in Charleston

I'm wondering if it's necessary to rent a car on an unpcoming visit to Charleston. I'm coming in early July for a 4-day trip with my husband for our anniversary. It will be our first time visiting Charleston. Right now, I'm thinking we'll be staying at a hotel in the historic district (nothing booked just yet). But I'm interested in visiting the plantations, touring Fort Sumter, downtown Charleston, and possibly even the beaches if time allows. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
reviews: 11
1. Re: Rental Car in Charleston

To do all you've mentioned, yes, you very much will need a car, especially for such a short visit.

We just do not have public transportation that will get you to all those places in a timely manner.

Beaches and plantations are the problems here.

Greenville, North...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
reviews: 141
2. Re: Rental Car in Charleston

I would take either an airport shuttle or taxi to your hotel and plan your trip to a plantation (I suggest Middleton Place) one morning and then to the beach in the afternoon. That way you only have to rent the car for one day. Enterprise will even deliver it to you!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
reviews: 23
3. Re: Rental Car in Charleston

If you stay in the HD and only want to visit the HD, you don't need a car. As mentioned, that is not your goal and most people do want to visit other areas, thus needing a rental car. Only a few hotels offer free parking. Would suggest making that reservation soon! Summers are very busy here.

Memphis
4. Re: Rental Car in Charleston

That's a great suggestion. Thanks for the input!

5. Re: Rental Car in Charleston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 15, 2014