We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

local eateries in charleston

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
chicago, Illinois
reviews: 17
local eateries in charleston

Visiting Charleston in April and since this is the 3rd time we are visiting and have done a lot of the usual well known eateries, we would love to try some real local restaurants that would really show the ambience of the low country. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks!

Greenville, North...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
reviews: 141
11. Re: local eateries in charleston

Pearlz is very good and has a good happy hour menu. There is one in the HD and in West Ashley.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
reviews: 85
12. Re: local eateries in charleston

The Wreck of the Richard and Charlene, on Shem Creek in Mount Pleasant, is fun. The restaurant is named for the boat that washed up there during hurricane Hugo in 1989.

The Wreck is very casual (food on paper plates and peanut shells on the floor), with beautiful sunset views from the deck, and active shrimp boats all around. The food is more expensive and, in my opinion, not as good or as varied as the food at SeeWee. However, the location is convenient to Charleston and the ambiance is authentic.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
reviews: 28
13. Re: local eateries in charleston

My personal feeling is that The Wreck is a waste of your time and money.

How about Fat Hen on John's Island?? Mmmmmm, fantastic.

Charleston, South...
reviews: 11
14. Re: local eateries in charleston

Locklear's on Coleman Blvd in Mt. P is authentically local. Ditto the Wreck and JBs, both owned by locals with local cooks. SNOB was one of the 1st to have a South Carolina chef inspired by local food, and it's still terrific. Fat Hen is great food but nothing lowcountry about it.

Don't forget Allouette's!

Charleston, South...
reviews: 17
15. Re: local eateries in charleston

If you find yourself in the mood for Italian try Wild Olive on John's Island or Trattoria Luca in the Elliotborough neighborhood.

Charleston
reviews: 3
16. Re: local eateries in charleston

You should head up to Upper King and/or the Cannonborough neighborhood; a lot of new restaurants. We've tried Macintosh; the Grocery both more upscale. I want to try Stars Grill Room, I've heard great things and has a rooftop deck.

If you like Asian cuisine; my friends have been raving about Co for sit down; and Bon Banh Mi for takeout.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
reviews: 28
17. Re: local eateries in charleston

Fat Hen does have low country slant on some of their dishes ~ things like grilled fish over a butterbean, corn succotash. I had one dish a while back (can't recall the details) that was over some sort of black eyed pea puree with black eyed peas and ham bits mixed in.

Edited: 10:31 am, February 14, 2013
Mount Pleasant...
reviews: 16
18. Re: local eateries in charleston

Water's Edge on Shem Creek is great for Sunday brunch. We also like Charleston's Cafe in Mount Pleasant for breakfast. They have "chipper" bowls and the chippers are homemade potato chips, some soft, some crunchy. They also serve sweet potato biscuits with breakfast. We also like Tattooed Moose for lunch.

Charleston, South...
reviews: 11
19. Re: local eateries in charleston

Charleston is in flux. All these new chefs and their publicists, Conde Nast and Esquire, Garden&Gun pseudojournalism. They dont know the difference between 6th generation natives and the Lee Brothers.

The people who run The Wreck are from Mt. Pleasant. Pearlz is an affiliate of the TBonz group of New Yorkers. Tattoed Moose, Rue de Jean, La Fourchette, and anywhere else that features duckfat is kidding you at your expense.

There are lots of local restaurants. There are lots of Destination Experts. The Lowcountry is not a monolith, but you can bet that if the entree costs more than $15, the ingredients might come from around here, but the recipe came from last week's brainstorming session.

New York City, New...
20. Re: local eateries in charleston

What are the dinner prices at Penisula Grill? SI ce they were not listed on the website menu I am assuming they are high.