We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Richmond, VA to Charleston, SC

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Williamsburg...
Richmond, VA to Charleston, SC

HI

I am planning to drive to Charleston from Richmond in a few weeks and thought about visiting Biltmore house. Is it too much out of the way from any one of the cities in NC? I could detour to Biltmore and back to Charleston? I do not want to drive 200 miles out of the way... Can anyone suggest a best route to cover Charleston and Ashville? I have seen/been to Nags Head, Outer Banks, Myrtle Beach etc. so those are not on the list at this time.

thank you,

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
reviews: 11
1. Re: Richmond, VA to Charleston, SC

It's out of your way.

You could take 85 from Richmond, pick up I40 in Greensboro and take it to Asheville. The I26 goes straight from Asheville to Charleston.

https://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&q=richmond+to+asheville+to+charleston+map&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&hl=en

Johns Island, South...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
reviews: 10
2. Re: Richmond, VA to Charleston, SC

Granny: not to be smart or anything, but have you looked at the map???

Asheville is on the opposite side of NC, yes, it's likely 150 miles out of your way (not quite 200)...

Asheville is about 4+ hrs. from Charleston.

Mapquest would bring you down I95 to I26, which puts you within an hour of Charleston, not anywhere near Asheville.

Driving from Richmond to Asheville is just under 400 miles (through Greensboro and Hickory), going from Richmond to Charleston is just over 400 miles.

So, yes, it is out of the way, if you want to do it I'd plan on 2 overnights, in Asheville, to properly be able to enjoy the Biltmore Estate.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
reviews: 11
3. Re: Richmond, VA to Charleston, SC

That map link doesn't work and I couldn't edit. Sorry. But google maps is an excellent tool to view the route.

Jacksonville...
reviews: 199
4. Re: Richmond, VA to Charleston, SC

If you have the time, I think it's a fine detour. I'm not sure Biltmore is anything to write home about (it's a giant, gaudy house), but Asheville is definitely worth an excursion or two. Great town. Then, just hop in 26 and shoot straight into Charleston...about 3.5-4 hours.

Really depends what type of time crunch you're under.

Williamsburg...
5. Re: Richmond, VA to Charleston, SC

thanks. Yes, I have looked at the map but hoped I was wrong about the distance:-). Thanks for the info and pointers.

Williamsburg...
6. Re: Richmond, VA to Charleston, SC

thanks. I will look into it.

Williamsburg...
7. Re: Richmond, VA to Charleston, SC

thanks. i see that it is out of the way. I will think about it.

Greenville, North...
Destination Expert
for Charleston
reviews: 139
8. Re: Richmond, VA to Charleston, SC

A quicker detour off of I-95 that is fun would be New Bern, NC. The Tyron Palace is very nice. There is a package deal of several of the historical houses when you buy your tickets.

The Biltmore is nice but it is a long trek over there from your path to Charleston.

9. Re: Richmond, VA to Charleston, SC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 03, 2013