We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good places to eat at IN Charleston

Which Charleston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cambridge, MA
reviews: 11
Good places to eat at IN Charleston

What a staggering array of mealtime choices! We always enjoy Hyman's Seafood when in town. An upscale place called Magnolia's (?) is excellent also. I'd like to hear what others, out-of-town visitors and locals alike, have to say in terms of their favored spots. Thanks!

Lexington, KY
21. Re: Good places to eat at IN Charleston

I have visited Charleston 4 times in the last 2 yrs and I've tried the usual recommended spots and a couple off the beaten path.

For a inexpensive lunch I enjoy Saffron's on East Bay, its located a little out of downtown but it actually has its own parking. They offer sandwiches, pastas, salads and lots of fresh baked sweets!! Also I always order their She-crab soup. When I'm done shopping at Market I like to go to either the Charleston Crab House or A W Shucks. A W Shucks offers patio seating and you can still view the hub of Market while you dine. As a culinary enthusiast myself was sorely disappointed in Blossom's. I found the staff to be stuffy, not southernly at all. I'm a young looking 27 yr old and was dining with my mom and was extremely put off when the server completely ignored me as though I were a child. Considering the price, I'd dine elsewhere, it just wasn't worth it. I have tried Hymans for an early dinner and found it to be fair. All the choices were fried, but we were given the option of sharing a large dinner combo which gave us the chance to try several items without cleaning out our wallets. Grab a phone book and get the address for Diane's. I tried it for breakfast and had stuffed french toast if I remember correctly and it was great. It's close to on street parking and it was reasonably priced. We also visited Charleston Place for afternoon tea. While the overall experience was lovely I cannot say it was because the tea food was great. It was passable, but the ambiance and the service are wonderful. There was a harpist playing and we were able to enjoy the beautiful hotel as well. It's well within walking distance from Market and a refreshing break from a busy morning of walking and shopping. Also, if you happen to be making a day trip to Savannah...while traveling on US 17 about half way between Charleston and Savannah their is a cider co on the right hand side of the road that you must stop in at. The make all sorts of different ciders, james, sauces, relishes, mixes and such that are influenced by the region and you can sample nearly everything. But they close early so stop on the way. Have Fun!

Charleston
22. Re: Good places to eat at IN Charleston

Jestines Kitchen- A must-- EXCELLENT southern food

Hymans- YUCK!

Vickery's- Good food

Magnolias/Tsunami's/The Terrace- Eloquent dining

I would personally recommend a nice weekday evening on the Terrace. It's a third story, open air restuarant. It gives you a beautiful view of the center of the Charleston peninsula.

nj
reviews: 34
23. Re: Good places to eat at IN Charleston

I think on Meeting Street but otherwise its in the main downtown part, for really yummy desserts and-or a nice lunch, Moose Mountain Coffee shop.

reviews: 1
24. Re: Good places to eat at IN Charleston

In the savvy travel agent's opinion California Dreaming is the absolute best restaurant! Enjoy your stay!

Allan Hoffman CTC

georgia
25. Re: Good places to eat at IN Charleston

My personal favorite is the Queen Ann's Revenge--just outside of Charleston on Daniel Island. Wonderful atmosphere, great food and great service. We went 2 nights in a row. A little pricey but worth every penny. I plan to travel to Charleston in June. I'v heard the locals recommend a place called The Wreck. If anyone knows which area of town it is in I would love to hear from you. Just me me close and I'll hunt it down. Thanks!

reviews: 1
26. Re: Good places to eat at IN Charleston

Oh Spensworld you are on top of things! And while headed out towards Mt Pleasant lets stop in at Sticky Fingers (tm) ummm good eating as they say in the south!

New York, NY
27. Re: Good places to eat at IN Charleston

Just got back from 9 days in Charleston. Jestine's was the BIGGEST disappointment. I tried to get in one day and the wait was sooo long I decided to come early the next. I got my seat quickly and ordered chicken and rice soup, which came with about 6 inches of the cooks hair. I then ended up getting a side order of red rice.....another disappointment. Must have been rice tossed ketchup. For a main entree, I got chicken gumbo. It lacked spices....garlic, pepper, salt....all around just bad. I barely ate anything.... The owner noticed and comped me my meal.....I really didn't have the heart to tell her exactly what I thought. I cut my losses and split. Basically, this restaurant is a tourist trap. I spoke to a lot of locals about this restaurant...some said that they never heard of it....some who have, never been there...so, the next time I go in to town, I will pass this joint.

Hanks was AWESOME. The best She-Crab soup that I had. I also shrimp and grits....so so so yummy!

I also went to Fleet Landing. A nice restuarant...large portions, large airey room. A little loud. Better for a group of 4 or more.

A fun lounge to go to is Torch. It's located on Upper King Street. Late night crowd though (after midnight). Before 10p, they serve a variety of tapas. www.torchvelvetlounge.com 30+ crowd.

There's a good cheap Greek restaurant directly across the street from The Charleston Place Hotel on King. Great Gyros...just as good, if not better, than the ones I have here in NYC.

If you have any other questions, re: Charleston, do not hesitate to ask me. I'm not an expert by any means, but I do love it there A LOT! After 9 days there, I STILL have places that I haven't visited yet!

Alex