We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bluffton........tell me about it.......

Which Bluffton hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bath, United Kingdom
reviews: 10
Bluffton........tell me about it.......

Hi

Thinking of visiting Bluffton, where are the best places to stay and beaches to visit with 2 children. We like a bit of life, would this be the place to visit?

Thanks

Steve

Cambridge, MA
reviews: 11
1. Re: Bluffton........tell me about it.......

Bluffton is a "low country" town but is not close to beaches. Hilton Head Island's would be the most convenient, a drive east on 278 of about half an hour.

There may be some small inns or B & B's around there, but Bluffton and Yemasee - being along I-95 - would more likely have run-of-the-mill chain motels.

With Hilton Head heavily developed (some, like me, would say overdeveloped) there are now some golf resorts and retirement communities being established in and around Bluffton. But it's a "pass-through" community for travelers much more than a destination. For any family activities or for a good selection of places to eat and stay, look toward HHI or Savannah.

Savannah, Georgia
reviews: 1
2. Re: Bluffton........tell me about it.......

Right, Bluffton is not on the ocean. It is on the Maye River. As far as I know the only public access to the river is a small sand bar type beach/boat ramp at an area called All Joy. All other river front access is on private land. It's more of a residential area than a tourist mecca. It's about half way between Hilton Head and Savannah.

Gainesville, Georgia
reviews: 336
3. Re: Bluffton........tell me about it.......

bluffton is a state of mind! the speed limit is 25 mph not 26 or 27 but 25 and the local constabulatory will not go easy on you so be fore warned. charming backwater village with stately old moss draped oak canapies. the commercial end is encroaching now but the squat and gobble is still the place to eat. be sure to visit the historic old church. a visit to bluffton can add years to your life if you will only let it. while in bluffton do not get in a hurry and by all means enjoy the may river submarine races.

Dundee, Michigan
reviews: 10
4. Re: Bluffton........tell me about it.......

We visited Bluffton in 2003 while staying on HHI, and I have to say that I was disappointed. Maybe I didn't ask the right people, but there didn't seem to be much of anything there! It was a slow-paced small town, but that is its main charm. We stopped to eat at a barbecue place where they were having a low country boil out back, and it seemed like everyone there knew everyone else and were saving tables for each other. No one seemed like tourists, and we ended up feeling kind of self-conscious and leaving. Not to dissuade you or anything, because there are chain hotels on the main road to HHI, but these other posters are right-it's nowhere near the beach. If you are looking to visit a small, quiet, slow-paced Carolina village then Bluffton will fit the bill. For anything to do, definitely stick with HHI or Savannah!

Bowie, Maryland
reviews: 18
5. Re: Bluffton........tell me about it.......

Well, yes, we did enjoy the Squat and Gobble restaurant.

Bluffton is exactly as stated above: a beautiful sleepy Carolina

village/town. We were fortunate to be there when the House and Garden Tour was going on. (April). It was an enchanting visit- - - -we 2 women toured the homes while our patient husbands let the 3 small children play near the water, sometimes on the docks of the homes we were touring. It was memorable.

But, if you are looking for the beach: fahgettaboudit.

Gainesville, Georgia
reviews: 336
6. Re: Bluffton........tell me about it.......

check out nativeguidetours. com and have a grand time seeing dolphins and wildlife up close and personal. they do a grand job of escourting you on this kayak tour of the real low country. we loved every moment of it. wear sunscreeen and glasses and see it all!!!!

7. Re: Bluffton........tell me about it.......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:40 am, September 06, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Bluffton
More Bluffton Topics