We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches in Rhode Island

Which Westerly hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Aurora, Colorado
reviews: 12
Beaches in Rhode Island

Hi

We are thinking of a Rhode Island beach vacation this summer and a couple of properties I've looked at don't know if they'll be open. How is the beach and what about restaurants and attractions? Are things going to be open by August?

9 replies to this topic
Jamestown, Rhode...
reviews: 4
1. Re: Beaches in Rhode Island

What do you mean open by August? The summer season starts around Memorial Day. Which part of RI will give a clue as to which beaches and restaurants you may be talking about. There are towns with beaches and restaurants all over.

Boston...
reviews: 79
2. Re: Beaches in Rhode Island

Narragansett is a laid back beach town with restaurants, bars, etc.. Bonnet Shores is about 10 minutes from there and is beautiful as well.

August is definitely peak.. EVERYTHING will be open.. people start booking their accomodations right around now.. We start getting the beach itch during the cold weather months!

Renting a house is a very popular choice for many..

try homeaway.com

Boston
reviews: 3
3. Re: Beaches in Rhode Island

I would think she is more worried about the hurricane damage in Misquamicut, and what effect that will have on the hotels on the beach being open. For sure we know the Andrea Hotel will be closed this summer as they are rebuilding for the next summer. The Pleasant View House should be open for the summer, and just about all the restaurants and bars should be completed for August. The Ocean House in Watch Hill and the Weekapaug Inn in Weekapaug are both in great shape post hurricane, and are welcoming guests right now.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Grand Cayman
reviews: 10
4. Re: Beaches in Rhode Island

Bonnet Shores is members only. IMO the best beach in all of RI is Narragansett Town Beach. The actual town of Narragansett has some great restaurants. Village Inn and Conference Center overlooks the water. Has rooms, suites, etc.

Lutherville MD
reviews: 25
5. Re: Beaches in Rhode Island

Narragansett b&b's are plentiful. Village Inn is NOT the place to stay. Make your vacation memorable in a good way! I recommend the Blueberry Cove Inn. Rooms, whirlpool suites or 2br apartment. Some rooms are pet friendly, too.

Ada, Michigan
reviews: 25
6. Re: Beaches in Rhode Island

Fyi there are not any sharks or ritzy socialites when it comes to lake Michigan beaches.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 71
7. Re: Beaches in Rhode Island

I was down at the Westery beaches last week. They are almost done cleaning the sand (which was moved off the beach by superstorm Sandy) and putting it back. I saw quite a few work crews repairing hotels and restaurants and summer rentals. I am guessing by Memorial Day most of them will be ready to open. The beaches themselves for sure will be open, according to state officials.

Yesterday I was at East Matunuck, which is in South Kingstown. The beach is looking good. The only restaurant I have doubts about is Jim's Dock, mainly because it seems to have gone missing. Then on to Galilee which seems perfectly fine. I didn't get to Scarborough or Narragansett Town Beach but I have heard they are fine as well.

I haven't been to Newport or the East Bay area so I'll leave that to someone else. But really, I would go forward with my plans if I were you. I think the beaches will be put back in even better condition than before the storm.

RI
reviews: 16
8. Re: Beaches in Rhode Island

I agree with staying in Narraganset, it has beautiful beaches and lots of good restaurants to choose from. I too would stay far away from the Village Inn. The place is a dump and the management is less than hospitable, the restaurant is good for a drink but that's it. There are many B&B's that you would enjoy, especially Tower House B&B.

Westerly, Rhode...
reviews: 26
9. Re: Beaches in Rhode Island

There will be plenty of places to stay near the great beaches in Westerly come summer, and Westerly is a wonderful town, with many fine restaurants, activities, and nightlife options. Not snootie or shark-infested, either. ;)

Reply to: Beaches in Rhode Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Westerly