We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bristol and Newport in Mid November

Which Bristol hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
reviews: 1
Bristol and Newport in Mid November

Its my wife's Birthday on Nov 15th

We are a family of 4 -with 2 young ones 5 and 10 months

I am planning a small surprise getaway from NJ

for 2 nights

Never been in to RI before

I was planning a vacation rental with good harbor / water views

I found one in Bristol.

Is it a good idea for a 2 night 2 day getaway in mid November

will it be too cold?

What all can we do can we see the Mansions in Newport?

1 day we could go in to see the Mansions and one day we ll just relax...

Please let me know if it is not insane to do this in mid november

5 replies to this topic
Newport, Rhode...
Destination Expert
for Newport, Providence
reviews: 4
1. Re: Bristol and Newport in Mid November

You're not insane, the weather could be brisk, but there is still plenty to do. Bristol will be more quiet than Newport. Check out www.gonewport.com for ideas of things to do. In Newport, there are the mansions, Cliff Walk, 10-Mile Drive. Lots of restaurants and shops along the wharfs.

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 80
2. Re: Bristol and Newport in Mid November

Bristol is so nice! It's off the beaten path, but very charming. On your relaxing day you could rent bikes and ride the East Bay Bike Path. Or you could visit Colt State Park, a very pretty waterfront park, a nice place to picnic, fly a kite or just relax. The drive to Newport isn't long but traffic can be a bit heavy. Probably nothing a person from NY would consider intimidating.

The weather is always a crap shoot but if you're going to tour mansions that can be done any time of year, and right now it's still pretty much shorts and T shirt weather. You won't have to deal with any crowds.

For your 5 year old, this looks like a nice diversion

http://www.savebay.org/aquarium

Kid-friendly restaurants would be Flo's Clam Shack and Nikolas Pizza, which has more than just pizza, Newport Creamery (get a burger "the Creamery Way"... and in Bristol Quito's

http://quitosrestaurant.com/

MA
reviews: 209
3. Re: Bristol and Newport in Mid November

The other replies to your question gave great ideas/options! Another thing to think about is for that 5 year old. If it is nice weather consider Coggeshall Farm Museum, adjacent to gorgeous Colt State Park, and a stones throw from anywhere in Bristol. It has great turn of the century type activities that may be interesting for your child. If it's rainy and cold, though, you may want to trek to Prov. (only 20 min. away) for the Providence Children's Museum.

New England
reviews: 118
4. Re: Bristol and Newport in Mid November

We just toured Blithewold Mansion and Gardens in Bristol and enjoyed it more than the Mansions in Newport. Great outdoor spaces for little ones when they tire of looking inside.

Jamestown, Rhode...
reviews: 4
5. Re: Bristol and Newport in Mid November

In November you'll find seeing the sites in Newport a breeze. Bristol is a nice community like others in RI, but if you've never been, I would concentrate on the Newport area, and also see the state parks overlooking the ocean and lighthouse in Jamestown on your way into town, or when leaving, if you have time. There is a lot to see and do in Newport, and with two babies, well- the Breakers mansion, Cliff Walk if it's nice, Ocean Drive, and walking around and eating at the harbor would be the must dos.

Edited: 12:46 pm, July 30, 2013
Reply to: Bristol and Newport in Mid November
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bristol