We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is Handicapped Parking

Which Block Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montrose, New York
reviews: 75
Where is Handicapped Parking

We will be visiting over Labor Day weekend and just learned the the Inn we booked doesn't have any parking let along handicapped parking. I was told of a place down the street on Water Street but they may have two (2) hour limit. I' m sure with all the disability laws that BI must have some handicapped parking....can anyone tell me?

8 replies to this topic
Bethlehem...
reviews: 3
1. Re: Where is Handicapped Parking

Call the Chamber of Commerce. They should be able to answer your question.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
reviews: 33
2. Re: Where is Handicapped Parking

Bivet makes a great suggestion. I have to say BI, which I love, isn't handicap friendly. Many of the old hotels/inns do not have elevators, some don't have railings, but they've been grandfathered in so they aren't in violation of any disability laws. Some places, like Ballards. do have ramps, I hope the place you are staying is on the first floor if that is a concern.

JDP

Montrose, New York
3. Re: Where is Handicapped Parking

Thank you for your reply. I'm mainly concerned about where to park our car. The chamber only said they didn't think we would have a problem but wasn't able to provide A parking location. One the less we are looking forward to our trip.

Bethlehem...
reviews: 3
4. Re: Where is Handicapped Parking

Maybe the police department would be able to help. I'm sure they would know where the handicap spots are and also what the time constraints would be.

Ocean County, NJ
reviews: 4
5. Re: Where is Handicapped Parking

There is no "grandfathering"! They have had 21 years+ to make modifications. The ADA set the guidelines in 1992, If they haven't by now, they are in violation of the law and should all be fined. So sad that they feel they are all above it. The government gave everyone till this year to have everything completed.

Edited: 11:07 pm, October 02, 2013
Montrose, New York
6. Re: Where is Handicapped Parking

UPDATE: After a wonderful long weekend on BI, I can now say that while handicapped parking is limited, it is available and more importantly, everyone was very helpful. We had our handicapped sticker clearly visible and if there were time restrictions we didn't know it as no one bothered us. Again, getting in and out of many of the shops/restaurants isn't handicapped friendly, but overall, everyone was so helpful and the island is so peaceful, we can't wait to go back!

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 71
7. Re: Where is Handicapped Parking

I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip, Kathy. I spent a couple of months last winter with limited mobility and found the whole experience very enlightening. "Handicap accessible" is not universal by any means!!

Rhode Island
reviews: 49
8. Re: Where is Handicapped Parking

There are several handicap spots in the downtown on Block Island, but it is nothing like the mainland. Parking in general is difficult on the island in the summertime.

Some of the hotels do have fully ADA compliant rooms. Many others have made as many modifications as possible given the constraints of 1880's architecture.

Do call the Chamber of Commerce (1-800-383-2474) to get a list of the hotels and inns that have handicap accessibility and ADA compliant rooms.

I would also suggest that you call restaurants ahead of time to ask what their level of ADA compliance is; better than to be disappointed.

Reply to: Where is Handicapped Parking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted