We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nude/Topless Beaches

Which Block Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
reviews: 60
Nude/Topless Beaches

This is an answer to a question posed a few years ago and no longer active.

Black Rock Beach is often mentioned as the only de facto nude beach on Block Island. However, If you want to go nude or topless or wear a thong or whatever, an easier beach to get to is below Mohegan Bluffs near the Southeast Lighthouse. There's a 140+ step staircase that leads almost all the way down. You just have to climb down the last 30 feet or so. Walk to the right over all the rocks until you reach the first promontory and the beach becomes sandy. It's clothing-optional from that point on. Most people wear regular swimsuits, but don't let that deter you. You'll see topless and nudes mixed in. No one cares.

My husband and I go there often. We've walked in g-string and thong swimsuits (me topless) all the way to Black Rock Beach along the shore. It took about 45 minutes each way. We saw several topless women and some nude men and women at various points along the way. If you want privacy, there's plenty of it. But there's no need to get away from the crowds to shed your clothes.

Edited: 11:08 am, July 31, 2013
34 replies to this topic
daisytown
1. Re: Nude/Topless Beaches

You really seem like you have a need to show your body off. Why in the world don't you move to Europe.block Island? Beaches in Maine really?

Netherlands
reviews: 145
2. Re: Nude/Topless Beaches

please let her have her own opinion on sunbathing. Some people are prudes, some are liberal......

Boston...
3. Re: Nude/Topless Beaches

My parents raised me without puritanical hang-ups over breasts and buttocks. I never wore a bikini top as a kid. As a result, I find bikini tops to be restrictive and uncomfortable. Furthermore, my Mom let me try a thong swimsuit when I was thirteen, and it felt awesome. Thong swimsuits feel better because they are less restrictive and have less material that clings to the body when wet. G-string style suits feel even better.

Showing off has nothing to do with my swimsuit preference. In fact, my husband and I are very private people who, paradoxically, do not like attention. We certainly don’t want to get in people’s faces, but we do want to wear what’s comfortable and practical for swimming. To the extent that there might be other people of a similar mind, I’m trying to share information about our experiences at the beaches that we enjoy. We always try to be courteous and respectful of differences, and we hope that others will act the same way towards us.

Rhode Island
reviews: 1
4. Re: Nude/Topless Beaches

Jessica you really shouldn't feel the need to explain yourself to trolling bathing suit nazis. I don't know why we are so uptight about these things in this country but I, for one, couldn't care less. We seriously don't have better things to worry about than someone else's breasts?

Jamestown, Rhode...
reviews: 4
5. Re: Nude/Topless Beaches

So you like to go topless, big deal, a lot of people do. It would be more appropriate to write something on CL, or start a blog.

Boston...
6. Re: Nude/Topless Beaches

My husband and I took a couple of day trips to Block Island during August. We went to the clothing-optional beach below Mohegan Bluffs where we wore g-string swimsuits and I went topless. One day there were several nude couples, the other day only one nude man. Both days there were several women topless as well as several women wearing bikinis with Rio bottoms.

The scenery is spectacular. Going topless and wearing a tiny, sheer g-string felt awesome!

Jamestown, Rhode...
reviews: 4
7. Re: Nude/Topless Beaches

That's wonderful, you should win a prize.

Edited: 12:04 pm, August 26, 2013
daisytown
8. Re: Nude/Topless Beaches

I guess I am a prude lol. A 13 year old girl in a thong makes me shudder. Also the last thing I would want to see on Block Island would be a man in a thong

Rhode Island
Destination Expert
for Newport
reviews: 71
9. Re: Nude/Topless Beaches

Nancy, couldn't agree with you more! I have, unfortunately, seen many men wearing them while visiting the island of St Martin. I speculate there can't be any mirrors on the French side of the island. There is no other explanation possible. My husband observed/complained "It's never the people you WANT to see naked".

Yorkshire
reviews: 49
10. Re: Nude/Topless Beaches

It is not how you look naked, it is how you feel naked. Swimming and sunbathing nude is wonderful but unless you try it, you won't know. Why the need to pass criticism of other people who feel happy in themselves and who are not criticising you? Real life is not a beauty contest. Humans come in all shapes and sizes. Deal with it.

Edited: 5:51 pm, September 23, 2013
Reply to: Nude/Topless Beaches
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted